Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

EPP FOAM filler HELP ??

Old 04-12-2004, 06:27 PM
rctt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EPP FOAM filler HELP ??

Whats a good light weight filler that sticks well to EPP foam ?
I trying to smooth out the surface of a foam wing then cover or paint /

Thanks Ron
Old 04-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Jerry Ledford
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EPP FOAM filler HELP ??

Hi, Purchase at any hardware or builders supply. Dap light and final spackling. When you pick up the container you will think it's empty, it's so light. You can spread it on or thin it with water and brush it on. Let dry and sand lightly. Try on some scrap first to get the fill of it. Jerry
Old 04-13-2004, 02:43 PM
rctt

Thanks
Old 04-22-2004, 10:40 PM
VI Jamie

Another choice I have found that is light and stiffening and durable is West system slow epoxy with their microlite filler. Mix alot of filler so it is a thick paste, then putty the assembled wing. After hardening, I use a random orbital sander and 100 grit paper. I sand until alot of the white foam is visible throught the brown putty. This insures that you have not altered the airfoil. Then I DO NOT USE ANY TAPE. Just one strip over the leading edge. I did this to an M-60. The finished weight target was 28 ounces. My plane came in at 28.5 ounces and has been durable and stiff so far. I do not build foamies any other way, I just re-did my Jazz 60 and cannt wait to get her back in the air!! I redid the Jazz because the first time I followed the directions and the tape stopped adhering to the the foam and made it fly poorly. This time I used the microlight/epoxy and have not flown her yet..though I noticed that, what was a flexible airplane is super stiff now.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:28 PM
beldraak

You might have some luck with polyurathane glue like probond or gorilla glue, they foam up, especially when you mix with a couple of drops of water. dont use very much though as the foam will expand a lot!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:41 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Polyurethane glue probably isn't the best choice because it foams up. I use it on my combat plane wings, and it's no smoother than EPP foam after sanding. It is strong and very handy for filling up large voids in the foam, though.

I'd be interested in how spackling holds up on a hard smack. Seems to me it would shatter like glass and ruin the surface of the wing.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:34 AM
rctt

[img] [/img] Heres a few shots of mu 2ND Clic ,,,I think it turned out NICE !!!

Thanks Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52409.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	127789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80571.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	127790