Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

AM Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Delphi36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM Transmitter

I am a novice R/C pilot and have been flying The "Chubby Lady" I got it as a complete outfit. I have had no serious problems. It came with a three channel AM radio. I have just Purchased my next plane which is a Warbird made by Alfa models called a Lavochkin LA-7 it is a Three channel plane as well but a fast flyer. I would like to know the pros and cons of a AM radio vs a FM radio. would it be ok to get another system like the one in my " Chubby Lady" which is a slowflyer / parkflyer or should I step the radio as well?

Mike
Old 04-18-2004, 11:30 PM
NMPhi767

Default RE: AM Transmitter

An AM radio has less range and there is more of the possibility of interference. R/C cars and boats run on am so you have to be careful about who is playing with their toys when you are flying.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:32 AM
jbrundt
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: AM Transmitter

ORIGINAL: NMPhi767

An AM radio has less range and there is more of the possibility of interference. R/C cars and boats run on am so you have to be careful about who is playing with their toys when you are flying.
Huh?

AM radios have just as much range as FM. As for cars and boats they operate on 75mHz or 27mHz whether it's AM or FM. Airplanes use 72mHz. As long as ground/water vehicles are using the proper frequency it matters not if they are AM or FM.

AM radios are more susceptible to stray RF in the air. I fly AM and have for many years with no problems. If you have narrow band equipment you should be fine. I would caution that if you live in a large metro area like New yrok, L.A., Chicago, etc. that you may get some interference. I live near St Louis and where we fly is out in the country so any AM interference problems are nil.

In fact my 30" warbirds use the Hitec 3ch AM setup with no problem. Just make sure you have the capacitors on that brushed motor to eliminate any chance of stray RF. In that sense FM is better because it's not as affected by motor noise. (but don't assume FM can never be affected because it can...RF is RF and will cause glitching in AM or FM)

Delphi,

I wouldn't worry about using the Hitec 3ch AM radio in your planned La-7. But I would caution you that doubled tapered wing is more prone to stall in low speed turns than what you might be used to with the Chubby Lady. You may want a different plane for your second than the La-7. Perhaps a [link=http://hobby-lobby.com/threedee.htm]ThreeDee400[/link] Don't let the 3D scare you off. It would make a fine 2nd plane and you don't have to set it up for 3D type flying. IMO the La-7 is asking too much for your first aileron plane.

hth

Jeff