Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Hobby Lobby Bonnie 20

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 01:33 PM
pgitta
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Lobby Bonnie 20

Well, last night the wind was finally *relatively* tolerable for Bonnie's maiden flight. Unfortunately, my runway (remote country road) runs North/South and a 10-15 breeze was blowing from the West which meant a nice cross-wind to contend with. Well, lift-off went well with a medium length run and she flew beautifully with, to my amazement, not one bit of trim needed in flight. I got this plane because for the last six months (since I started in RC) I flew the ultra-light park flyers like the Slow Stick, Beaver, etc. and the wind here makes it just plain un-fun with those models. The most evident thing though was how little like a park flyer this thing is. At 66 oz. (overweight even for the Bonnie because of the big GP3300 sub-C pack) the wind is almost a non-issue...except for landings. I'll admit I was not prepared for the inertia of a heavy plane, half expecting it to slow right down when the throttle is reduced. It don't work that way. The only way I can describe it is the difference between how long it takes a beach ball to stop rolling compared to a bowling ball. My first two approaches were missed by like a million feet in altitude and fast. The third I mangaged to slow down a bit more, but still not enough, and my cross wind caused me to drift left of the runway by a few feet. I'll admit to a bit of inexperienced panic which looking back was not necessary. I thought I wouldn't have enough altitude to turn back over the road and consequently pulled up a bit too much, lost too much speed, had to nose back down and landed somewhat ungracefully on the nose gear bending it a bit and chipping a prop tip. Despite that though, she came out unscathed. I learned a lot about a heavy plane and will be ready next time.

Bottom line is the Slow Stick is a blast and I can do almost anything with it and not lose control, but there's something to be said for a ship that banks and turns like a full-size aircraft and doesn't do the wing dance when a 5 MPH wind kicks up.

Can't wait to try it again.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Nickerz
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hobby Lobby Bonnie 20

pgitta,

Thanks for the review!

I think I've been bitten by the bonnie bug too! I want to do more research on the plane though but am thinking about buying it. Hobby-Lobby sells a pricey package though which includes everything. What was your total investment with the Bonnie 20 and what are your flight times with it? Can Li-pos go into this plane? I just would hate to do anything that would burn out a $115 brushless motor.

I've been flying my SuperStar EP recently and really enjoy this plane but I like the tri-landing gear on the Bonnie and have heard great things about it's stable flight despite wind conditions. I have to admit, SuperStar seems to handle 10mph winds pretty good but the Bonnie has aielrons and seems more solid!
Old 05-24-2004, 02:37 PM
pgitta

ORIGINAL: Nickerz

pgitta,

Thanks for the review!

I think I've been bitten by the bonnie bug too! I want to do more research on the plane though but am thinking about buying it. Hobby-Lobby sells a pricey package though which includes everything. What was your total investment with the Bonnie 20 and what are your flight times with it? Can Li-pos go into this plane? I just would hate to do anything that would burn out a $115 brushless motor.

I've been flying my SuperStar EP recently and really enjoy this plane but I like the tri-landing gear on the Bonnie and have heard great things about it's stable flight despite wind conditions. I have to admit, SuperStar seems to handle 10mph winds pretty good but the Bonnie has aielrons and seems more solid!
You don't have to worry about burning out a brushless motor EVER unless you exceed its recommended rating maybe, but by the time you get even close to that rating it'll be screaming with the power of 2-3 brushed motors. Nothing to wear out.

I have the cost of the plane and AXI outrunner motor invested. Around $275. I had all the electronics already including the ESC.

I love this plane. Its so clean looking and realistic and the best of all, a completely fiberglass one piece fuselage and fin so the finish is smooth and curved just like the real thing.

I have to admit one thing though. Even though the Bonnie has near glow performance at a solid 8 minutes on the GP3300 Sub-C's I'm using (never pushed it further yet, but 10-12 I'm guessing is do-able.) I'm getting frustrated with the down time. I fly with a guy who has glow, and after I get done with a couple of 10 minute flights, I mostly sit around watching him fly non-stop while I wait an hour/per to charge my two packs. Sure, I could get a couple more packs, but their $50 a pop. I've think I've decided to convert her to glow using the smallest 4-stroke Saito makes.

Don't get me wrong. It's not a matter of POWER, (see my post about how the Bonnie almost cut my thumb off with that "weak little electric motor" 10 stitches thank you very much) but DOWNTIME that's bugging me. If you're the type that just likes to get a 1/2 hour fix now and then, the electric is the way to go. No mess, no accessories, noise, etc. If you want to spend an afternoon at the field, maybe gas is the way to go.

Either way, I've seen a lot of all balsa ARF's for the same or more money. I think the Bonnie's nicer. I've done nice graceful rolls with a little down elevator and big wide loops. She flys and looks great in the air and on the ground. The instructions however bite bigtime.

Weird. My flying friend envies my plane's good looks, and I envy his plane's endurance.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:16 AM
f242
My Feedback: (28)

great info! I'm planning on getting the Bonnie with the float kit...i'm hooked now doing touch and goes on the water! You gotta try it! If i do not go brushless on the Bonnie, what do you think is a good brushed motor?
thanks
Old 07-01-2004, 03:40 PM
airyzonie

This plane got a nice thorough write up on http://www.masportaviator.com/. There was even a follow-up article on setting it up with Li-Po. I already have a multi-model transmitter so I wouldn't need to buy a radio but I would need to buy all the other electronics. I'm guessing that given that, to build this plane with Li-Po power could run into the $600 range. Ouch. Somehow I'm still strangely attracted to it.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:04 AM
mdiesu
My Feedback: (13)

How did you vent the motor and motor control areas? I flew my Bonnie for the first time and the motor and motor control ran hot and cut off.

Mike Diesu
[email protected]
Old 11-17-2005, 08:39 AM
pgitta

I just dremeled out a small oval on her "chin" and never had any problems. I ran it that way for about six months before I threw a .30 4-stroke on it and only recently converted back to the AXI.

Sounded and flew great, but the Bonnie became a slimy mess. She got a complete overhaul (new covering,decals,wheels,etc) before going back to electric.

Now my wife lets me bring it in the house again.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14128.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	355746