Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Correct Switch Position

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 05:40 AM
lilhog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Switch Position

Hi All,
Qiuck Question......When installing an on-off switch on the inside of the fusalage,which way should the switch work? Should I "push" the switch in to turn the plane on or "pull" it out to tturn on. Simple question, but I'm sure there's a preference as to the throw of the switch.
Thanks for the feedback,
John
Old 05-29-2003, 02:00 PM
FHHuber
Banned

different people have different preferences.

For the push-pull installations...

Push in to turn on, has the advantage of you not being able to bump the switch off accidentally when launching the plane. (Highly prefered for hand launch models)

Pull to turn on has the advantage of not being able to accidentally bump it as you put the plane in the car/truck, running down the batteries as you drive to the field.

For the surface mount installations...

Vertical switches, set like a household light switch. Up is on.

Horizontal switches, on the side of the plane, it is generally prefered for aft to be on, because if you brush the side of the plane as you release it, you are less likely to turn it off.

The guys who mount the seitch on the top or bottom of the fuselage, with the action being side to side... Whichegver way you want is fine.

Actually it doesn't really matter much... whichever way you do it on your planes, be consistant. You don't want to forget which way is which. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2003, 02:08 PM
lilhog

Thanks FHHuber, that's what I figured, either way. I just wanted to be sure before I glued the holding block in place.
Good Flying to ya,
John
Old 05-29-2003, 04:24 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Having worked for both Northrop and Piper I remember the rule for full sized aircraft. On is up or forward. Push switches should be push on and push off or if just push on/pull off they all have a guard cover. Might be a bit much to put a guard on the side of a model. fhhuber is right on both count for the pull on/or push off switches sometimes used on models. You choose which is the lesser of two evils. Slide switches on the fuselage side do not, in general, prortrude far enough to be bumped when launching.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:15 PM
Bill L

Mounted on the side, forward "ON", and it hits weeds, a tree limb, or anything, it might get turned off for you and save an esc or a shorted battery pack. I know, the switch is so small it probably will not get "hit" but I'll still go for Forward is "on", ready to go forward![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]