Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Graduating from Aerobird Challenger

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Graduating from Aerobird Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Co Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graduating from Aerobird Challenger

Hello
I have been flying a challenger for about 5 months now and I am ready to move on to something new. I just purchased a JR XP6102 radio, so now I need a plane. I would like something some what durable(hobby-lobby split 280? or the teddy bear?) I would like a plane that needs some work to put together so I can start to learn how to build, and is good at aerobatics. I would appreciate any input suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Graduating from Aerobird Challenger

I think you'll get a lot of recommendations for the Mountain Models Dandy, Tantrum, or Switchback. GWS Formosa is another option, though they might be hard to find right now as GWS transitions into distributing their own products in the USA.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:25 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Co Fly

Hello
I have been flying a challenger for about 5 months now and I am ready to move on to something new. I just purchased a JR XP6102 radio, so now I need a plane. I would like something some what durable(hobby-lobby split 280? or the teddy bear?) I would like a plane that needs some work to put together so I can start to learn how to build, and is good at aerobatics. I would appreciate any input suggestions. Thanks

Probably a good choice for you as a move-up plane would be the Mountain Models Smooth-E. It has a balsa fuselage with foam wings. Get it with the Slow Flyer wing. That wing is now available with ailerons, too, so you can get a plane that will bring you into the world of ailerons more easily. From there you can go on to the Sport wing for that same airplane, which is another step up in performance and you won't have to buy a whole new airplane, just a new wing.

The balsa fuselage/foam wing makes for a pretty easy way to transition into building since it uses two materials that most planes are made of. The foam wings are four pieces of foam and a 3-piece balsa spar. Builds in about 20 minutes, just pay attention to what you're doing to make sure you don't put left side stuff on the right side.

You've picked a really nice transmitter for yourself, by the way. I just moved up to a 6102 after a few months in the hobby and I love it. I've already got 5 planes programmed into it. That feature makes life real easy.

Hope this helps!

BobbyG
Old 05-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Co Fly

Thanks for the tips, I will look into these planes, The smooth-e might be what I am looking for. The only thing that scares me about the transmitter is that I might eventually get 10 planes/ heli's. Thanks