Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Performance issues with my brushless

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Performance issues with my brushless

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Quicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance issues with my brushless

OK, finally got a chance to fly my setup through 2 packs. Here's the setup:

Himax 2015/4100
GWS D gearbox
GWS 1260 prop
Pheonix 25 ESC
E-Tec 3 cell 1200 mah LiPo pack
36 inch span plane @ 12 oz

After 2 packs I have to say I'm disappointed in the performance. I was running a brushed GWS 350C motor with a Pixie20P ESC. That setup would rocket out of hovers. The brushless setup is sluggish out of hovers. The Brushed setup would spool up instantly. The brushless has a slow spoolup. I got more dents and dings in my plane last night flying the brushless system due to a lack of pull-out power. I got used to the brushed setup being able to pull my plane out of any angle. The brushed setup looked like a drunken fool falling all over.

Should i try programming the ESC with a more aggressive timming? What will make this run better? If this is the way it is I gotta be honest and say I'd rather pay $9 for a new 350C motor every 8 to 10 flights than deal with the diminished performance I'm seeing.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Performance issues with my brushless

The batteries are killing you. Etec 1200mAh packs are only good for about 7.5 Amps, and are much happier at 6 Amps. You're trying to draw nearly 12 Amps according to P-Calc. In experiments, I've tried drawing 10 Amps from the pack. Had 4 packs in parallel hooked to a Gary Wright E3D power system. Was expecting 40 Amps, got 28. With a 10 Amp load, the best these packs could do was 7, and the voltage was dropping like a stone for the entire 10-second test period. Went all the way from 12.6V to 9.9V before I bailed and killed the power.

Either put two packs in parallel, or get yourself a 3S Kokam 1500.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Quicker

I also just got an email from CC support that I had thre ESC programmed wrong. I had the voltage cutoff too low and I have it on the Super Soft startup, which is causing the really slow spoolup and doggish performance.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:20 AM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Quicker

I also just got an email from CC support that I had thre ESC programmed wrong. I had the voltage cutoff too low and I have it on the Super Soft startup, which is causing the really slow spoolup and doggish performance.
So did this fix your problem? I'm considering getting an Edge 540 from Fancy Foam models with the exact same setup. They have some videos of the edge flying with this setup and it looks like it flys great.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Quicker

Nope. I talked with several other people running the same batteries, same ESC, same motor and CC was very helpfull, but nobody ever got it running. We did everything, including resoldering the connections to the motor and I even had a guy come over to my house with his setup. His was awsome. I think I had a bum motor or something. I sold it to a guy who thinks he can get it running.

I'm not down on CC or Himax. It just didn't work. I'll try another setup this winter. For now, I'm flying the GWS motors just fine.