Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Single or multi conversion Rx???

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Single or multi conversion Rx???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 03:55 PM
RickAvery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single or multi conversion Rx???

OK, I didn't get any response on thread at the top, so here goes.

It was recommended that when I build up a wing that I not use a single conversion Rx. What is the difference between single and multi conversion Rx's, and what would be the advantage of one over the other? Would having a multi
conversion Rx require a different Tx? I have a couple of sky scooters and they're all I have flown so I'm not up on this new fangled stuff. Thanks.
Rick
Old 05-25-2004, 04:11 PM
latch66

Default RE: Single or multi conversion Rx???

The reply to this question will not be short.

In general what people are talking about is the inexpensive GWS RX's (which are Single Conversion) and the more expensive FMA, Hitec Electron 6 and Hitec 555 (All three of which are Dual Conversion).

There is a difference in these RX's as far as range goes and as far as the number of glitches you will get. The Dual Conversion FMA's, and Hitec Electron 6 and 555 RX's will have better range and less glitches than the Single Conversion GWS models.

But, it is not just a matter of Single Conversion vs. Dual Conversion. IMHO There are many Single Conversion RX's which are just as good as Dual Conversion.

I found this out in 2001, so some of JR's newer RX's may have been changed over from Single Conversion, but up until that time, only one was Dual Conversion. I was curious if my R700 RX was Single Conversion or Dual Conversion. It didn't say on it's spec sheet. So after a brief phone call to the Tech Support, I found out that JR only makes one Dual Conversion RX. All the rest (including the R700) are Single Conversion.
Check it out by calling their tech department. That's how I found out. I've never had a problem with any JR RX I've owned.
Berg Receivers as well are Single Conversion. I've been using one for quite some time and have had no problems with either range or glitching.

You do not need a different TX to use a Single Conversion RX. They will work well as long as you have the right shift for the Radio System you are using. Positive Shift for JR and Airtronics, Negative Shift for Hitec and Futaba.

I too would not put a GWS RX in something like a Zagi. The range is too short, and the tendancy to get glitching when someone else is flying is too high. I've had a Hitec 555 in my Zagi for two years now and have had no problems. But, having said that, I would not use a Hitec Feather for a Zagi. Same Problems as the GWS RX's.

I would not hesitate to use a Berg 5 or a JR R700 for the Zagi either. Both of these should be good as well.

I hope this has helped.

Good Luck.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:43 PM
RickAvery

Thank you Latch for taking the time to give me an explanation. You have answered some questions and created others. A good thing as the learning curve is steep in the beginning. One of the wings I'm considering is the e-slayer. I notice in many of the ads for this wing that they mention, not necessaraly recommend, the Hi Tech focus III AM Tx. This is what my sky scooter came with, so it would probably be safe to assume that it is pretty much a low budget Tx. But it does have mixing and I must say that I've never experienced a glitch, or lost my scooter out of range. (they claim a 1500' range). The Rx, Hi Tech HAS 03MB, is probably also a low budget Rx, But again, never a problem. I would like to think that I could reliably use the low budget Hi TEch Tx/Rx to get the wing in the air with the intention of springing for a nicer/better 5 or 6 chnl set up later. I will keep lurking and learning. Thanks again!
Rick
Old 05-26-2004, 06:57 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You'll be just fine with the Focus III AM set on your wing. There are "park flyer" single-conversion receivers, which are built to a price point, and are generally unreliable at moderate distances. Hitec's Feather falls into that category. However, the rest of their single-conversion receivers are quite good. Maybe they don't have quite as much range as their dual-conversion receivers, but they have more than adequate range for planes between park flyer and .40-glow size.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:28 AM
RickAvery

Thanks Matt for the reply. I want to learn to fly the wing, and then build up a war bird or two with the need for more channels. This doggone hobby is snowballing!! LOL. I've only been at it since last Christmas. Does it ever quit? What fun!!! Thanks again.
Rick
Old 05-26-2004, 09:46 AM
latch66

Sorry for not answering earlier Rick. I could not access the internet last night.

As earlier posted, the Focus III will work fine for your wing. There are mixing switches for the flying wing on the back of the TX. You will need to make sure you use an AM RX for it though and not a FM RX.

There's no looking back now! Your hooked!!!