Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

What charger do I get ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 10:51 PM
tommyboy1229

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What charger do I get ?????

Help!!
I have 2 battery packs that are 15 cell 3000 Ni-mh. I am using them in a heli and don't have a clue as to what charger to get. I would like your input as to what is the best that can charge both at the same time. Anything would help, thanks.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:16 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: What charger do I get ?????

I don't think there are any dual-output chargers on the market that can charge those large packs. Why not? My best estimation is that manufacturers don't see a very large market for high-capacity, multiple-output chargers. In essence, you're just combining multiple single-output chargers into a single case, so the cost for a dual-output, for example, would be nearly double that of a single. People balk at spending $130-$150 on a typical high-capacity computerized charger. A dual-output version would run $250. Not many people are willing to drop $250 on a battery charger. Yes, one or two will pipe up and say, "I'd gladly pay $250 for the convenience," but you're the minority of the minority.

If you're looking to charge the packs as a single 30-cell pack, the Astroflight 112 Deluxe can charge it. However, to charge the packs together as a 30-cell pack, you have to fly them as a 30-cell pack. If your helicopter only uses one 15-cell pack at a time, you need to charge them separately.

There are some advantages to multiple single-output chargers. You can connect them to separate power supplies. A dual-output charger that could charge 25 cells at 5 Amps per output would need a 40 Amp power supply. You've got redundancy. If one output blew on the dual-output charger, you'd be SOL while the charger was in for repair. At least with two separate chargers you can limp along and still fly.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:17 PM
latch66

There are many chargers available that can charge those packs one at a time (single output chargers only).

The only chargers that I know of which are probably able to charge both of those packs at the same time will be one of the larger Schulze's.

Schulze's are great chargers, but the larger ones are expensive. Their entry level charger (still over $200) has two outputs, but unless they have changed the programming, it is not capable of charging both of those packs at the same time.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:49 PM
âûñøåå îäíî

im not sure, but check out the Triton