Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

electric equivalent to a .60?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

electric equivalent to a .60?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 05:48 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default electric equivalent to a .60?

Some advice please!

I would like to install electric in many of my future models, which are typically .46 to .72 power. Ground clearance is usually an issue so a motor turning 14" plus props at 6000rpm is a non-starter. I want something that can turn 11" to 14" max diameter props at decent rpm, for pattern aerobatics, funfly/3D and scale. I need decent flight times, minimum 10 minutes. I will not touch nicads/nimh because of the weight, so I need Lipolys.

Can you recommend motors and battery voltage/capacity that will give me approx .60 glow motor performance on 12x7 prop for around 10 minutes per flight?

Harry
Old 06-03-2004, 07:15 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: electric equivalent to a .60?

With today's brushless motors and LiPoly batteries, finding a motor that will spin a 12x7 prop at approximately 11,000 RPM for 10+ minutes is easy. There are literally hundreds of combinations that will do this. It's just not normally the best solution for a .60 size plane. There's enough power in a .60 glow engine to fly an airplane twice the size and weight of your typical .60, if it could be applied to the air in an efficient manner. You can get phenomenal performance out of a much less powerful, in terms of raw HP, electic system. An added benefit is that an electric power system designed for the specific plane is much less expensive than a system designed to mimic the characteristics of a glow engine.

The easiest combo to do what you want is an AXi 4120/14 on 18 NiCd/NiMH cells, or a 5-cell LiPoly. According to the ModelMotors website, the 4120/14 will do 10360 on 18 cells with a 12x8 prop. Drop back to a 12x7, and RPMs should increase several hundred RPM. A 5-cell LiPoly might require you to increase the prop to a 12x8 to get the same power because the RPMs will be slightly lower.

But, think about what I said above anyway.