Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

A Fistfull of Propellers?

Old 06-06-2004, 10:34 AM
kolarshooter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Fistfull of Propellers?

OK, so I'm a newby...please be nice I see the Zagi, Superfly, and a whole medley of foam airplanes which don't have landing gear. I have a GWS Corsair which I built w/o gear to land on grass (as is common based upon my reading here) and this plane is getting pretty thrashed pretty fast.

So, I want a Zagi (I think), but how do you land the things without damaging them? For that matter...how do I launch the bloody thing (I usually fly alone.)

This must be a stupid question...or does everyone carry a fistfull of propellers?
Old 06-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: A Fistfull of Propellers?

Zagi is a good choice. Shut the motor off when it's about a foot off the ground, on landing. Won't hurt the prop. I hollowed out and glued a couple of bottle tops into the wing, just behind the spar, for finger holes, like a bowling ball. Thumb and second finger. Launch at full throttle. I never hit my fingers with the prop.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Zagi comes with launching instructions. While some people have problems with the launch technique, it usually worked for me when I had a Zagi.

You basically hold the wing near the nose with your four fingers underneath, and your thumb over the top, alongside the battery tray. Bend your hand backward at the wrist and raise the plane over your head, wings level. Swing back and give the plane a forward toss, rolling your hand forward as you do. The key is that you don't grip the plane tightly; support it with your fingers and your thumb should just barely be hooked over the leading edge to keep the plane from falling out of your hand.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt:
Could never get my fingers Wraped around the nose that way. Fingers getting to stiff from old age I think. Used to launch with fingers at the trailing edge just ahead of the prop for other guys but you had to trust they weren't going to touch the throttle stick. Another buddy takes it by the wing tip, does a couple of piroettes, and throws it. Funny part is, you didn't know which way it was going. Did a lot of combat. Lots of fun.