Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

GWS 400 set up

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 10:14 PM
wyatt`s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS 400 set up

Hi,
New to the electric world.Need some help setting up my plane.It is a old Ugly stick converted to electric. I have a GWS 400,ICS 300 ESC,Kan 1050 with mini Futaba receiver and servos (28 grams tork).The plane is 29 in. wingspan.Weighs 12 oz. with the 400 and empty frame.
I could use a wiring diagram on this set up.and some good tips on setting this up.To mush money invested for this to be a bad learning experence.I just would like to fly before I need to put skies on.
My batt is a KAN 1050 I order it with JST connections.Can I use my charger that I use to charge my other batt.? I have a charger for my radio and receiver batt.I also have a power swich coming for the ugly stick,it has a charger connection to it.
I also have a FAIL SAFE link (GWS) but I don`t think I need it .The ICS has a low power set up in it.But this maybe a good thing for my gas plane?
I notice that there isn`t mush directions with RC products.I have left many forms at a nother site ,,but I think everyone is keeping this a secret.LOL
I realy need some help here.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]Not alot of tech info but just a simple layout,pictures would be great.I`m from Tenn. you have to show me,,or is that some other state?
Thanks,
Wyatt`s[8D]
Old 06-09-2004, 06:52 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: GWS 400 set up

You're making it out to be way more difficult than it actually is. If you've ever put batteries in a TV remote, you can wire up this system. That, and the fact that every situation is potentially different, is why they don't tell you how to do it in the instructions. A single cookie-cutter procedure in the instructions will be wrong 50% of the time.

The ESC is the centerpiece of your system, the base to which you connect the motor and battery. I know for a fact that the GWS ICS300 is labeled. Each wire has a + or a - where it goes into the ESC. There is a label on the motor end, and a label on the battery end. Connect the motor end to the motor, and the battery end to the battery.

On the battery end, you MUST make sure you connect + to + and - to -. Do it wrong, and you blow up the ESC. If the wires are red and black on the battery, red is always + and black is always -. Mistakes do happen, though. The person that assembled the pack may have screwed up, so it pays to check with a multimeter first. You want to be able to disconnect the battery from the ESC, so you'll need to add connectors here. I recommend Dean's Ultra connectors. Get two sets, one for connecting the battery to the ESC, and a second set to make up a charger adapter. Put the female end (i.e. the one with the holes, NOT the one with the exposed pins) on the battery. Use male ends on the ESC and the charge lead.

On the motor end, you need to figure out which way to connect the motor wires to the ESC to make the motor spin in the right direction. Luckily, GWS has traditionally provided connectors so it's a plug-n-play operation. Plug 'em together, at least for preliminary tests. You can flip one connector over and reverse the direction of the motor if it's going the wrong way. Once you figure out the way they're supposed to be connected, you can either leave it, or cut the connector out and solder the wires together.

Soldering will be the most difficult hurdle in this whole thing. It's a skill that you can only gain through practice. You might just want to find someone in the area that can solder to show you how, and do the wiring for this plane. Your local Radio Shack store has all the soldering supplies, and if you're nice, they usually have at least one electronics nut working there that will help you out with the soldering.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2004, 07:14 AM
wyatt`s

Thanks ,I got that part now.The battery and ICS goes together it does have the right connections.I have a power switch coming it has a charging lead on it.
Would this go inbetween the batt. and the ICS? I havn`t received it yet.
I also was wondering about a fuse and noise reduction. what to use? I seen that I can get the noise reduction at Radio Shack.
Does these go inbetween the ICS and the motor?
And last.
BES a switch that lets me just fly one batt.What and why?Should I use a receiver batt? Or use this switch?I think I would like to try using with the receiver batt.When I would charge the plane with a charging lead added to the plane ,,will both batts. be charged at one time?
Alittle more tech,
Wyatt,
Old 06-26-2004, 12:01 AM
wyatt`s

[Hi,
I got all my electric installed and motor.
The plane weighed in at 21 oz. I know a little heavy 29.5 inch wingspan GWS 400.
I have just now tried a prop on the plane ,the only one I have here is a 10x8. Didn`t seem to give the plane mush pull or should I say thrust?
From asking alot of question I keep coming up with : that I should use a 12x8.This seems big for this plane,but I don`t know.Seems not to have mush clearance to the ground .I`ll have to have a tall landing gear.Or should I just go for a belly flopper?
With the 10x 8 prop setting on a bar set it wants to move of the chair,but can`t see it flyin with just this power.Should I try the 12 or even bigger.I`m using a ICS 300 ESC 15 amp. A KAN 1050 batt. I have a 20 ESC coming.I got it cheap on Ebay (NEW) with a batt. Will the GWS 400 handle this plane?
It jusy maybe me but I think the motor feels alittle tight turning with your hand but so does another motor I have does.
Help,
Wyatt
Old 06-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Reddog177

Wyatt,
Are you trying to fly this plane with a single battery? Maybe you should see how much voltage you need to run your motor. I doubt that one will do it, even a LiPo.
Dick
Old 06-27-2004, 01:16 PM
wyatt`s

Hi,
Yes ,I was told that the Kan 1050 would handle it all motor and servos.Things seem to be ok with the motor running servos are checking out ok.But had to move the rudder and elevator servo to the rear of the fuse.I like it, can see whats is going on.It hasn`t seem to make it tail heavy ,,, nothing that keeping the other stuff forward took care of.
I`ve seen it done on other planes.See this plane is small. 29.5 '' wingspan with a short fuse.Sad but true the plane is 26 oz.
So this where I`m at.It`s was hard getting to this point.

Now I didn`t know about how many batt. to use or even how to ask.But I could use the receiver batt,but was told not to.A little no alot scared to go plugging things in . But I don`t know if a bigger prop will give it what it needs .More batt. or bigger motor.Or even a big sling shot will help.
What ya think,
Wyatt
Old 06-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Reddog177

Wyatt,
Your motor will require at least 7.2 volts and might work better with more. If the Kan 1050 is a LiPo, max output is 4.1 volts. It won't work.
Dick
Old 06-27-2004, 04:08 PM
wyatt`s

Hi ,
I`m not that mush on no. but with my meter the batt. did test at 7.2 It is a 7.2 batt. Think I should go to a 9.volt? I do have a 500 and 20amp ESC.
Will another batt make the motor go faster or just longer.I guess more volts more speed.Will the ISC 300 ESC handle more volts?But when you say two batts. is one for the receiver ? Or do both run through the ESC?
Instead of flin lesson ,,,I need a degree in electrics.
NEED THE INFO
WYATT
Old 06-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Reddog177

Wyatt,
You battery is big enough.
Dick