Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Zagi Aveox Electric Motor.....What Could Be Wrong???

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Zagi Aveox Electric Motor.....What Could Be Wrong???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zagi Aveox Electric Motor.....What Could Be Wrong???

I bought this Aveox brushless motor/ESC combo made especially for my Zagi, and I swear it's junk. When I advance the throttle on my Futabe 8UAPS, it stumbles and stops about 50% of the time. Sometimes it runs, but other times it just beeps and the light blinks on the ESC. I already sent it back to Aveox, of course they claim there's no problem with either the motor or the ESC. I've tried different recievers; no help. I've played with the three little switchs on the ESC; still does it. Does anyone else have this problem with the Aveox motor?
Old 06-14-2004, 07:21 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Zagi Aveox Electric Motor.....What Could Be Wrong???

You're going to have to produce more details. What motor? What ESC? What battery?

It sounds to me as if you're trying to use a stock Zagi battery to run a motor that draws way more Amps than the stock Speed 400. When you try to draw too much current from a battery, its voltage drops severely, and the ESC's low-voltage cutoff kicks in. Everything works fine for Aveox because they are probably using a bench power supply, or large Sub C batteries.

Without knowing what motor and prop, there's no way to even guess as to how much current is being drawn.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Tommygun

Thanks for your reply Matt. My apologies about the lack of tech details; I'm new to the whole brushless thing and assumed all Zagi packaged Aveox motors were the same. Here's what I have:

The motor says this:

Aveox
27/13/3 Brushless Motor
Kv 3400 RPM/V,22/30A

The ESC says:

V 3.0
SL-18
40A

Prop is the stock black zagi 5x5, battery is the stock Zagi 1700. Is there a lithium that can power this setup? Otherwise I'm thinking it will be a real lead sled with a bigger NiCad
Old 06-15-2004, 10:00 PM
rcelectfly

Tommygun,

The Aveox setup that you have is excellent. Is the battery pack fully charged?

I suspect that you may have a bad connection somewhere in your system.

By the it will fly just fine with a good NiCd or NiMh pack.

Chuck
Old 06-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Tommygun

Yep, batteries (both of the stock Zagi 1700s) were fully charged, all connections are fine. I notice the problem is even worse when both servos are plugged in than it is with just the ESC.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:51 PM
latch66

The stock Zagi battery pack cannot handle the amp load you will be pulling from it for long with that setup.

A 3S2P Thunder Tiger 4200 mah Lipo should be able to handle that motor/prop combo.

Do you have another pack that can handle at least 30 amp that you can try?
Old 06-16-2004, 06:50 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Agreed. The stock Zagi 1700mAh battery pack is only good for 15 Amps. It was meant to run a Speed 400 motor, not a hot-n-heavy brushless setup. According to P-Calc, your setup is drawing over 24 Amps.

There's nothing wrong with your motor; you just learned your first lesson about batteries, internal resistance, and voltage depression What you need is a battery with lower internal resistance, such as a battery made up of CP1700 NiCd cells, or HR4/5FAUP NiMH cells. Then, the voltage depression isn't as severe.