Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Frozen Servo?

Old 06-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Co Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen Servo?

Today while I was flying I had a little problem with my prop loosening up. I didn't have the right wrench, so I just put the plane in my car and quickly drove home. I didn't un plug the battery and the plane went crazy. I pulled over and un pluged the battery. I fixed the prop and went to fly again. I was doing a pre flight inspection when I noticed the elevator was stuck in the down position. I unpluger the servo from the recever and repluged still stuck. It just hums and is stuck in the down position.

My question is how do I unstick it, or is it just screwed? It is a HS85 servo. any help is appretiated. Thanks
Old 06-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Frozen Servo?

Most people would have the natural curiousity to attempt to manually rotate the servo back into its proper position. I'm surprised you didn't try that.

Anyway, you committed one of the cardinal sins of R/C: ALWAYS turn the receiver on last and off first. If you don't, the receiver will respond to whatever it thinks is a valid signal, and if it thinks that signal is telling it to overdrive the servos and break them, it will do that too.

What happened is that the interference caused the receiver to drive the elevator servo beyond its limits. You may have to remove the servo and take it apart. Worst case, there are some broken gears inside the servo.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Co Fly

Thanks Matt, I did tryand turn it back, but it was stuck!, and I didn't want to strip any gears. I did remove it, once I opened it up it must have taken some presure off of the gears, because I was able to easily break it free. Put everything back togther and it works fine. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:18 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

I had a brand new Hitec HS 60 freeze on final approach- on the elevator servo! I guess I got lucky, because it froze in the trail neutral position. When I pulled back to flare, nothing happened, so the .15 size sport plane it was in made a pretty hard landing, but nothing broke. The servo never worked again though. I wonder if there's some issue with their pots or something....