Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Antenna Spools?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 11:13 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Spools?

My HiTech Electron 6 came with a little spool to wrap the receiver antenna around. They did not include any instructions on what this might do to the range.

Has anyone tried this. Or maybe a partial wrap just to get rid of some of the excess?

Thanks in advance,
Larry
Old 06-17-2004, 06:45 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Antenna Spools?

If I remember correctly, all of my recent Hitec receiver purchases have included that spool on a card that had some basic instructions, AND the spool was explained in the main instructions.

Anyway, you need to wrap the antenna CAREFULLY, making sure to never cross the wires. That ensures minimal loss of range, as you will definitely lose some range by wrapping the antenna up. We don't fly our airplanes anywhere near the limits of the radio range anyway, so it really isn't a big deal.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Mars Flyer

One of my flying buddies used one of those spools on a Hitec Electron 6 and had serious glitching because the spool was right next to the servos. He unwound the spool and the glitches went away. If you have to use the spool, keep it away from the servos.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:44 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Also follow the instructions, and don't cross the wires. Crossing the wires "shorts" the antenna, not electrically, but RFically :P. The loop cut off by the crossover of wires doesn't count toward the antenna's length.