Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

E-Flite Park 370 w/Vasa 55 and JES-8-3P question

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

E-Flite Park 370 w/Vasa 55 and JES-8-3P question

Old 06-23-2004, 09:06 PM
gfcermak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flite Park 370 w/Vasa 55 and JES-8-3P question

Hi everyone, I'm new here, with a question (as usual):

I'm putting together a GWS A-10 ARF, have upgraded the EDFs to Vasa 55's with E-flite's PARK 370 5400kV motors (12 turn) with JES-08-3P controllers. The batteries are a pair of Etech 3S1P 1200mA-hr in parallel, specified for 14.4 Amps total at 6C (160 watts nominally).

Static bench tests show I draw about 10 amps at full throttle (on one motor), but the RPMs pulsate wildly at full throttle. The motor will get too hot to hold, even after just 30 seconds at half throttle. I've verified I'm using soft-timing on the JES. If I back off full throttle, the fan RPMs smooth out nicely. No thrust data yet.

I'm concerned about the heat build-up in the motor which means a lot of power lost to heat, and thought AC motors would be more efficient. Or is this normal?

Also, is there a better 3-phase controller for the E-Flite motors that would not pulsate at full throttle?

I'm not finished building yet, but hope to have a 16oz AUW, with 2 x 10oz = 20oz thrust. Or maybe I'll melt all the drive electrics on the first vertical climb.

Thanks,
Gerry