Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Slow throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 12:20 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Slow throttle response

Hello guys.
Test flew my Shock flyer today, here is my setup:
- Shockflyer SuperStar
- Typhoon 6 brushless motor
- Tsunami brushless controller
- 2x Lexors 200 micro servo and one GWS pico std servo
- Lexors 6ch FM Rx
- Apache (www.anyrc.com) 1200 Mah 11.1V Li-Po pack

i gotta tell you - the performance is amazing, i test flew it in a small piece of lawn next to my house and ran it hard into a tree after 5 minutes - it was a too tight space to fly indeed !
anyway went home, a little Epoxy and a little UHU to fix the torn motor mount, and here we go again, this time in open space, i was practicing 3D moves (torque rolls, harriers and such) for no less then 24 minutes (! !) before the motor started loosing power and i landed.
this little thing really challanges physics in the way it flys !!

i do have one question though - the motor has a slightly slow response, i.e. if you nail the throttle it wouldnt react with the same speed, but a bit slower, i was told by the LHS that all brushless are like this ?? is this what is reffered to as "soft start" ? is there a way to get rid of it ? a punchy throttle response would be a good thing i think !
Old 06-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slow throttle response

Soft start is precisely what it says it is. It's a method for starting the motor "softly" in that it won't jerk back and forth, possibly damaging the gearbox in the process. Punching the throttle to go from an "idle" to full throttle does not involve starting the motor.

What you're seeing is physics in action, not necessarily the behaviour of a specific type of motor. The motor has to overcome the inertia of the propeller in order to accelerate. I believe a "hot" conventional brushless motor with a high-ratio gearbox would accelerate quicker than the outrunner you have now.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:49 PM
i3dm

No sir, thats not it.
the motor would do exactly the same WITHOUT the propeller, and it does not have a gearbox on it.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:49 PM
kwiktsi

I know my castle brushless speed controller has a programmable soft start in it to prevent gear box damage in weak boxes. It has three modes (from memory) slow soft, fast soft and no soft start. I usually leave it on the default which is the slow start. I sometimes onder if it is hurting me when trying various manuvers since the power comes on slowly- but I honestly haven't done a lot of back to back with it.
Joe
ORIGINAL: i3dm

No sir, thats not it.
the motor would do exactly the same WITHOUT the propeller, and it does not have a gearbox on it.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:44 AM
i3dm

So is this in fact the soft start or not ? im not sure...
This Tsunami controller doesnt have a good mode without soft start. []
Old 06-25-2004, 07:01 AM
Matt Kirsch

The operative word here is START. If you're not starting the motor, then it's not the soft start. From your description, it seems like you're going from low speed to full speed. That's not starting.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:27 AM
kwiktsi

I don't know if I am mis reading your reply, but it seems like you are saying it only does it on start up. Mine does it anytime I back off and go full throttle again. Even if I go from half to full it does it- and yes, this is only with the soft start activated- I know the difference between prop load and a slow startup . I am just trying to help explain it to i3dm. His issue sounds exactly like what mine does in soft start.
Joe
ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

The operative word here is START. If you're not starting the motor, then it's not the soft start. From your description, it seems like you're going from low speed to full speed. That's not starting.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:47 AM
i3dm

no guys, the throttle response is sluggish on all RPM's ! even when throtteling down from full....
Old 06-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Matt Kirsch

I'm going by the behaviour I've observed, and what makes sense. The "soft start" features I'm familiar with only affect the motor when you're going from zero throttle, up to about 1/4.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:11 PM
i3dm

So i guess its not the soft start then, in that case what could it be ? im not sure...
has anyone else tried the Tsunami controller ? maybe the controller is just programmed this way ?
thanks.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:34 PM
kwiktsi

Hmm, ok.. I'm stumped then . I know mine personally does it all the time unless I disable the soft start- then it is nice and responsive. If his is doing it on decel also, I can't answer that .
Joe
ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

I'm going by the behaviour I've observed, and what makes sense. The "soft start" features I'm familiar with only affect the motor when you're going from zero throttle, up to about 1/4.