Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Power Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 06:31 AM
Mark71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Problems

Ok here is me problem. I own a SS and I am only getting 2-3 min worth of flight. I am using a 6 cell 1100mh battery pack and charging it with a Vision Peak Plus AC/DC Peak Charger. When I charge the batteries they only charge up to 8.89 volts on a one amp or 4 amp charge. The problem is I can get to a good height with the SS but once there the motors dies. If I go back to no throttle and them back into throttle the motor will kick back in for about 30 sec. I am also using the ICS480 20-Amp ESC on the SS. Does this problem seem to be with the battery packs or with the speed control. I know that the speed control will cut off power to the motor when the batteries go below a certian votlage. If it is with the battery pack does anyone have an recomendations on a good battery pack for this set up.

Thanks
Mark
Old 07-02-2004, 06:56 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Power Problems

8.89 Volts is pretty good for a 6-cell pack. That's over 1.4 Volts per cell. Your charger is working properly, but you should probably stick with the 1 Amp charge rate. 4 Amps is too hard on the battery pack. For future reference, the rule of thumb is that 1 times the battery's capacity (also referred to as C) is a safe charge rate for ALL packs.

You left out some important information: Motor, gearing and prop. That, and cell count, determines the Amp load that's put on the battery.

An 1100mAh battery, whether NiCD or NiMH, should easily be able to handle a Slow Stick and fly it for 20 minutes. There is something wrong here. You've got to have one of these:
1. Crap battery
2. Severe binding in the gearbox
3. Bad motor
4. Wrong prop for the gear ratio
5. Wrong gear ratio for the prop

Can't tell without more information, though...
Old 07-02-2004, 07:04 AM
Mark71

I am using the stock motor and gear box. 11X80 prop. No binding in gear box or motor. So from what I have read in your post it more in likely is the battery packs. There are some that my LHS built. The batteries have 2/3 1100mh on the side of them and there sre 6 of them in the battery pack.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:14 AM
Matt Kirsch

Stock as in EPS300C, C gear ratio? There is also an EPS350C and an EPS400 powered Slow Stick.

There might be a high-resistance connection in the battery pack, or the cells are just crappy Chinese knock-offs. NiMH packs will get better after a few cycles, though. It may be that your packs just need to be charged and discharged a few times.

7-cell and 8-cell packs are much more common on Slow Sticks, but 6-cells should give you adequate power, if you get decent batteries.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:30 AM
Mark71

Sorry it is the EPS300C. I am using the Small Deans connectors. I will make a stop by my LHS and see if they have any 7-cell or 8-cell packs. Define decent batteries(Brand, what mh?, size). Sorry for all the questions. I am still learning. Thanks Matt
Old 07-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Matt Kirsch

If the cells you got from the hobby shop the first time are crap, buying a 7 or 8 cell pack of the same crap cells from the same hobby shop is only going to make things worse! When you increase cell count, you increase voltage, which increases current (Amps) proportionally. The cells couldn't hold up to the lower current; they're not going to do any better if you increase the current.

KAN1050 or CBP1050 packs from cheapbatterypacks.com are the same size and weight as your packs.

You might still have a motor problem, though. I'm using an 8-cell pack of Chinese 1100mAh NiMH cells, and they're holding up okay to ~13 Amps. You shouldn't be drawing any more than 6 Amps, which even the crappiest Chinese cells should hold up to just fine.

Try this test: Charge the pack up. Take it off the charger and measure the voltage. Let it sit for about an hour. Measure the voltage again. The pack should be holding at least 7.8 Volts after an hour. If it isn't, you have a bad cell or a badly-assembled pack.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Mark71

Thanks for the advise on the batteries I am going to look at that web site you posted. I don't want to buy anymore crap. LOL!!! I did the test on thh batteries holding the charge. The funny thing was both packs dropped over a volt in that hour time frame. Going to take them back the to Hobby shop that I bought them from. So you are getting over 15 min of flight with your 11000mAh cells. That must be nice. Thanks again for all of your help Matt.

P.S. If I go with the KAN1050 in a double stick or the Gold Peak 1100 in the double stick. Will my 20 amp speed control be able to handle any of these?