Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Formosa motor upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:28 AM
kwiktsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formosa motor upgrade.

I am looking to upgrade my formosa using an inexpensive brushed motor. The stock setup is OK, but doesn't have the extra "get out of trouble" power I would like. I don't want to go with a hot brushless setup, just not worth it to me for this plane. Will the GWS 400 motor and box help it any? I plan on swapping to KAN650's for batteries too. Thanks.
Joe
Old 07-07-2004, 11:10 AM
scott88-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Formosa motor upgrade.

Why don't you want a "HOT" brushless setup? If you spend $25 on a brushed 400 motor from GWS you'd be halfway to buying a brushless motor. Let me give you the sales pitch I got, and it's every bit true in my mind otherwise I wouldn't say it. The brushless motor lasts forever(50+ 10+ minutes flights), it's more efficient(15 minute flight time), and it can be really really fast or produce 3lbs of thrust. One last thing. I can keep up with the gas planes out at my airport.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:50 AM
kwiktsi

I thought about it, but right now just for the cost ( I am building 4 planes at the same time currently), I wanted to keep it inexpensive, then upgrade later. I don't mind spending $20-$40 on a brushed setup right now even if it is only for a few months. If/when I upgrade to brushless on this plane, I will just toss the brushed stuff in my "spare parts" box . I actually plan on building another Formosa down the road a bit and was planning on setting that one up with a brushless and lipo's. Thanks.
Joe
PS- On that note, what would you recommend for a hot brushless setup for a Formosa? I still don't know how to choose brushless motors.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Are you sure that it's the motor that's the problem? I bet it isn't.

If you're not running an 8-cell pack of decent cells, the stock power system on your Formosa has so much more potential. The GWS 730mAh 7-cell packs that are "stock" for these airplanes are stretched to their limits. Going to an EPS400, which will no doubt require more power because it's trying to spin a larger propeller and/or spin the prop at a higher RPM, will kill them. You can't get more out than you can put in.

Try an 8-cell pack of CBP650 cells, or KAN650 cells.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:59 PM
kwiktsi

I had the 650's with the 400 and it sucked- BUT- I just got done testing it with the stock motor again and the 650'- NOT THAT IS WHAT I WAS LOOKNG FOR . Not a rocket by any means, but has just enough extra "punch" to be what I wanted. Only thing I noticed is it seems a bit hot coming in- like the extra weight is harder to fly at low speeds. My field in my back yard was tough with it stock, now that it needs more speed coming in, it is even tougher. My LHS has a Formosa slope glider there for like $29 or something like that, I may just go get that and build it a bit lighter since mine has a bunch of paint and some repair work done to it to see if I can compensate for the heavier battery. Thanks for your help!!
Joe
Old 07-08-2004, 06:49 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Are you sure you have the right 650s? They weigh about the same as the 730mAh AAA cells GWS recommends. They're a 2/3AA form factor, same diameter as the AA alkalines from your TV remote, only about 2/3 the length (actually closer to 1/2). Cheapbatterypacks.com says .4oz for the AAA cells, and .51oz for the 2/3AA. You'd be gaining an ounce going from 7-cell AAA to 8-cell 2/3AA, which shouldn't adversely affect the flying characteristics of the Formosa.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:25 AM
kwiktsi

No, actually I was wrong- I got it from my LHS and we thought they were a 650 cell (it was a loose pack out of something he had there). Turned out to be a 1000 mah pack from Hobby lobby. I guess they are slightly bigger around than the 650's are, but I didn't notice since I didn't have anything to compare it to. They slid right into the plane and fit nicely though. The high MAH would explain the drastic increase in power. A guy locally though said the cbp 650's will perform just as well with less weight. He said to run 7 cells though and between the lighter weight from what I have now and the higher amperage from what the stock pack was it will perform very well. Oh yeah, also- I was running the GWS 9.6v 730 8 cell pack. Thanks!!
Joe
Old 07-08-2004, 08:30 AM
kwiktsi

Odd, the hobby lobby catalog called the pack a 1000 mah pack, but the web site says 1100. Someone was telling me last night he never heard of a 1000, only 1100- so maybe that's it?
joe