Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Astro Flight

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 11:14 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astro Flight

Astro Flight needs to get off their duff and start supplying Super Whatt Meters. I've had one on back order since April through a on-line store. That's ridiculous. I sent Astro Flight a email asking them when they would be available, and they said they were busy making chargers and would jump on the meters soon. That was a month ago. To anyone that may be waiting for one, I offer a alternative from Cermark. This one measures amps and volts, and you can do the math to find watts easily. Just multiply volts times amps to find power in watts. Cermark's is only $39.95. I just hope the quality is there, because I've heard so many good things about the Whatt Meter, but I just can't wait any longer for one. Here's a link to Cermark's unit:

http://www.cermark.com/Merchant2/mer...Code=VA+TESTER

Thanks for your ears!
Feel much better, now! [:@]

Jesse
Old 07-13-2004, 08:51 PM
red baron 99

Default RE: Astro Flight

check this out - i posted this on rcgroups

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229814

maybe i received yours - NOT !!
Old 07-14-2004, 02:48 PM
U2Steve

Jesse, the picture and the specs on that Cermark unit are identical to the meter I have. Mine is labelled "MPI"- Maxx Products?. But it looks exactly the same. Mine was only $30 at the LHS. Despite the fact that you have to add your own battery and ESC connectors, (and maybe that's a plus; you don't have to remove connectors you'll never use first) it's been very handy, seems accurate, and it's given me a much better idea of what's going on (bad pun!) in my power systems. Now that I'm taking the brushless plunge, some sort of ammeter is essential.

Steve
Old 07-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Jerry Ledford
My Feedback: (15)

Check out Wattage. the have one also,about $40. Jerry
Old 08-07-2004, 07:29 PM
stanger89

OK, time for the I'm stupid question.

I picked up an MPI MX 8100 DC Amp Meter (looks exactly like the ones posted above) at our local Electric Fly today, hooked up the connectors, and try it out. Put the switch on V and it seems to work fine, voltages jive with the multimeter I've got, but when I flip to A, it just keeps counting/varying, even w/o the motor running it reads 30-40 or so. I'm confused, do I have to leave it in a A for a while for it to figure out what the current is? Just seems really odd, and I'd like to know if I should try and take it back.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:08 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Astro Flight

Is there more than one model of Astro Flight meter? Most sites I see only have a non "Super" meter_bob
Old 08-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Dave in VA

ORIGINAL: bob_nj

Is there more than one model of Astro Flight meter? Most sites I see only have a non "Super" meter_bob
Yes, there are two meter's made by AF. The Micro Meter and the Super Whattmeter. The micro has higher resolution at the expense of less "range" so-to-speak. Get the one that best fits your needs. Most of my stuff is in the 12-15 amp range, so I use a Super.

Astro Flight's online store is [link=http://www.astroflight.com/e/env/0001JhIQb2ObQwsUgk0y8L3/store/astro-store.html?link=/store/store-Chargers.html]here[/link].

Micro Meter - Designed for indoor models and small park flyers. Reads battery current from 10 ma to 10 amps, voltage from 4 volts to 16 volts, power up to 160 watts, Milli amp hours up to 5000 mahr.

Super Whattmeter - Designed for speed 400 models to quarter scale. Reads battery current from 100 ma to 75 amps, voltage from 4 volts to 80 volts, power up to 5000 watts, Milli amp hours up to 9000 mahr.