Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

ESC's draw on battery pack

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Bill L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC's draw on battery pack

I posted this on GIANT AIRCRAFT and my only excuse is that I just got back from the eye doctor.
I crashed my Firebird XL in a spin, so badly that the radio was wasted. I rebuilt it with a Hitec FEATHER and 2 Hitec HS 55's. I put a Jeti JES 110 in it for speed controler. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]problem: the 6-cell pack will do no more than make the motor grunt, and it turns the motor off. I put a 7-cell pack in it, and it flys. Is the JES 110 taking up too much of the current? It still flies with the original motor and prop. Is the JES110 too big, or is the battery pack getting too old. (about 10 months old.)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2003, 01:18 AM
Mike Glass

Hi Bill,
I have the same ESC it is for 6 to 10 cells.
I don't think your problem is the ESC.
Did you check the voltage on the 6 cell pack it
sounds like you may have a bad cell. When under
load the cell drops off causing the BEC to kick in.
Do you have a watt meter.

Mike
Old 08-24-2003, 11:27 AM
neal scoggin

I have a Wingo with a Jeti Jes 110. I may be having the same problem. I tried 2 battery packs from two different chargers. One gave me 45 seconds, the other about 15 seconds. Should there be a jumper on the 2 inner posts on the "Motor" side of the 110 unit? I don't have one in my configuration. I'm a novice and pretty much clueless on this one. Thanks, Neal
Old 08-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Bill L

H F Mike, I have no watt meter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]What am I doing flying electric without one?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
I used a volt meter on two different battery packs, and found that the motor kicks off at aabout 5.3 volts. I thought of using a 5amp esc I have because the 5amp Wattage IC5A I have on a Tubby Cubby does such a good job with 7 cells, and a geared (3.7 : 1) speed 370 motor. I put a 7.5 amp fuse on the Tubby Cubby motor to protect the esc. I know! I need an amp meter or watt meter, right? When my modified Firebird XL flew great on a 7 cell, 600 mAh pack, I suspected the other packs were defective.
How would you find out which cell was defective?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]