Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

How we beat the TREE

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 02:30 PM
BrunswickOH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How we beat the TREE

My friend got his Fighterbird about 65 feet up at the top of some trees, The tree was in the middle of a lot of other trees so couldn't get a fire truck or ladder truck of any kind to it and the tree was too thin the last 30 feet or so to climb. We took a Wrist Rocket Sling Shot ($6 at K-Mart) and put some 6lb test fishing line on a decent size lead Sinker. Shot it up over the plane (After a few tries it's scary how good you get at this) the lead sinker dropped over the branch and back to the ground, we tied Kite string to the fishing line and pulled the kite string back up over the branch and down to the ground, then attached a rope (Must have very long rope, or clothes line or something very strong would work) to the kite string and pulled the rope up through the tree, now we had a rope over the branch that the plane was on. Pulled and tugged and knocked the plane down. Just thought I'd share the story in case you're looking for a way to get one down.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:26 AM
southern_touch99

I got one stuck in the tree one time that was impossible to get down. We got on the logging equipment and cut the tree down [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2003, 03:21 AM
wraith

using a cannon to kill a mosquito? but hey what am i saying it worked didnt it and plus you can have a log fire through the winter during those cold model building sessions[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2003, 01:41 PM
Bill L

The slingshot idea did not work at a fun fly I visited last year over at STOW OHIO. I think they hired a cherry picker. I recovered my original little Firebird from a tree by throwing sticks at it. (Maybe I released some frustration that way) Another time I got some clothesline and grabed a limb, but it was not more than 25 feet up that time. Those little things are so much fun you just get enamored and forget about the trees[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2003, 09:53 PM
southern_touch99

It never drops belown 30 degrees here so we fly year around. I couldnt think about living somewhere that I cant fly year around.