Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

GC Electra getting lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 08:48 AM
berniem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GC Electra getting lighter?

I'm new at dry flying & my GB electre is too heavy. A friend suggests adding a speed control, 7th cell & micro servos. Any suggestions on what type of control & servos? I have a stock 400 motor with a folding prop. I tried a gear bx (wrong one) but it turned backwards. I was hoping to use a bigger prop with the bx set up.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:56 AM
berniem

Default GB-Goldberg Electra

Sorry about the confusion. It is a GB Electra.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:18 PM
HitecRedneck

If your flying an Electra then it's a 500 motor and a MA 3.5 gear box. Try a 9x6 prop or a 10x8.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:23 PM
Flying Cat
My Feedback: (9)

I am still flying my CG Electra I built 10 years ago! This is the plane I tought myself to fly with.

This the setup I have had for several years now: Motor size 550, Master Airscrew or MP Jet gearbox with a 3.1 to 3.3 reduction ratio, 11x7 or 12/8 folding prop, 7 cells from 1200 mAh to 3000 mAh.

Do not worry about your servos, this plane does not need mini or micro servos, standard servos are OK. The key to good performance on this plane is the motor/gearbox/prop combination. The best way to reduce weight and improve performance is to use NiMH batteries instead of NiCd; you can save several ounces!

Enjoy,

Flying Cat
Old 07-23-2002, 12:39 AM
berniem

Default Electra

Thanks for the feedback guys. Are these gear boxes the reversed type. The one I initially bought turned the prop backwards.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:55 PM
mapnet

When a gearbox is used the ESC connections (+and-) should be reversed at the motor. This reverses the motor rotation and results in the proper propellor rotation.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:31 AM
berniem

Default Electra

Thanks for the feedback. A friend told me reversing the fields would mess up the motor
Old 07-26-2002, 12:07 PM
mapnet

Bernie,
If you have a "can" motor(one without adjustable brush timing),reversing polarity should no effect on the motor except some minor sparking until the brushes "wear in" in the new direction.

maurice