Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Need help with ESC

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 05:02 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need help with ESC

I am setting up the Electrajet which has an e-flite 16 amp speed control.

The low voltage cut off doesn't seem to be functioning. I was doing some testing in the house to see what kind of battery run I should expect. I expected the motor to cut off around 6 or 7 minutes, but at 9 minutes the blade was turning very slowly. Clearly the low voltage cut off did not kick in.

There were no instructions for setting up the ESC. Where can I get instructions for this ESC. e-flite efla100.

Or, can you advise me what I should do? Is there a set-up procedure I need to follow?

Perhaps the ESC is defective.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:21 AM
rcpilot007
My Feedback: (646)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help with ESC

I have the same setup with the electrajet and mine runs a long time at low rpm after about 6 to 7 min of high power.I am using an 8 cell pack for power.Try letting the motor run until it stops ...it may take 3 to 5 min of very slow running.After the motor stops check and see if the flight controls still work.my electrajet flies just fine however I am fixing to put a 020 brushless motor in it.....I think the electrajet bec should cut off earlier also.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:52 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There doesn't seem to be alow voltage cut off for the motor, but in practical terms, you can't really keep it in the air once the power starts to run down so you have to land. The plane just doesn't glide that well.

My concern was about running the cells down too low and damaging them.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:19 AM
BykrDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, I see this same thing happening in a plane of mine...

I have two seemingly identical battery packs driving a Piper. One pack is pretty lively, and will climb the plane out of sight. After a while, the BEC kicks in and I stop flying, but the battery will still fly good and climb right up to that point.

The other battery is much more sedate and is good for some gentle puttering around, maybe a loop or two if I build up some height. The plane will lose altitude with that battery long before the LVC engages, so I land it when I can no longer hold altitude.

It doesn't seem to be harming either battery, though.

Actually, the same thing would happen on the Rare Bear when I was flying it on NiMH. The LVC would eventually kick in, if I was running the plane in my hand, but I had to stop flying long before that happened. Now I fly it on LiPolies, and I just stop when I notice the performance isn't as crisp (which, on LiPolies, is usually after I run out of time anyway).

Dan.