Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Firebat..too heavy to fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Great Planes Firebat..too heavy to fly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 10:45 PM
khen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Firebat..too heavy to fly?

There are a lot of different plans and building hints on e-zone. I have not put together plans for this one yet, but I plan on perfecting it a bit and then posting some plans.

Here are the specs:

40" span with a 3/4" tapered to 1/2" airfoil
12" wing cord(at the center) tapered to 8"
approx 400sq
24 oz
480 RETOM motor from parkfliers.com
5X5 glass field prop.
Firebat 8 cell battery
25 amp esc

I have one that looks very similar that uses the Firebat motor and esc. The airfoil is thicker so it is not quite as hot, but still fun.
I have built a ZagNutz as well the plans are available online(search e-zone) it is a Zagi style bluecor model. Sorry I will post the URLS later, my wife is calling me for dinner.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:30 PM
Mel-inactive

I have that problem too + a 1 and a 4 year old ! just leave me alone will you !!
Appreciate the info there thanks I was going to buy a projeti but I think I will definitely try to create something from Bluecor , providing I can get it locally, I live in japan but there are a couple of good big DIY stores nearby that I hope stock it I'm sure Iv'e seen it, I have thought about the idea of making my own from lumps of polystyrene you always get from various packaging when you see the price of almost $100 for some polystyrene model you want to DIY .
OK I'll go and search the Ezone
Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:37 PM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

Also check businezzzzz that do siding and ask for fan fold foam/insulation. It's extruded foam thats 1/4 in thick, or you can also use foam board(depron foam sandwiched between layers of posterboard) Check out my F-117 in the 1/2A section of this forum.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:52 AM
Mel-inactive

Originally posted by rcflier_gi

The CG point should always be in same spot no matter what size battery or motor you use. It is the placement of the battery (and anything else moveable) to get proper balance at the CG that is key.
Hi rcflier,

Since totalling the original Firebat, It now resembles a delta wing similar in proportions to a Projeti, but do you have any clues as to where the Cof G would be as it is a totally new design. Is there some equation that needs to applied ?
Thanks Mel.
Old 08-18-2002, 03:59 AM
SRA Foam Flyer

To Mel,
My favorite method for finding CG, throw it at the bed and keep adding nose weight until glides right....Or if you visit the ACT website they show where the delta option CG is located.
Old 08-18-2002, 04:11 AM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

sounds like one of them Kyosho f86 planes i got stuck with two i flys vary well now that i put 400 more dollars in to it lets see here 800 little jet Damn i could have gotten a BVM jet for that!!
Old 08-18-2002, 12:13 PM
Mel-inactive

Originally posted by SRA Foam Flyer
To Mel,
My favorite method for finding CG, throw it at the bed and keep adding nose weight until glides right....Or if you visit the ACT website they show where the delta option CG is located.
Thanks SRA, The bed thing sounds about the best equation to me . I like your thinking. I have shaved sooo much foam of the original shape in an attempt to loose weight that I think it.s down to around 19oz Let's see if the F***** flies now !

Mel.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:01 PM
SRA Foam Flyer

I think I read somewhere that people are chopping off the nose and reconfiguring them to a tractor delta. Should work good, looks like a Rapier delta.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:22 AM
Mel-inactive

I think I read somewhere that people are chopping off the nose and reconfiguring them to a tractor delta. Should work good, looks like a Rapier delta.

Check it out, gonna see if it flies this afternoon !
Mel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22029_12164.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	12127  
Old 08-19-2002, 01:30 AM
SRA Foam Flyer

O yeah, looks great for something that was gonna get tossed in the garbage.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:53 PM
SRA Foam Flyer

to Mel,
Well how did it do?
Old 08-19-2002, 11:08 PM
Mel-inactive

to Mel,
Well how did it do?
SRA,

had a wind of over 40 mph allday, there is a typhoon nearby keeping the wind speed up unfortunately, however it's looking good this morning, i'll keep you posted, stand by.

Mel.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:02 PM
Kensonic

Default Firebat is a DOG

Here is my experience with the Firebat. I built the kit
and it came out almost 4 ounces over the quoted weight
using the supplied battery. I used as little epoxy as I could and used the supplied decals. I used a mini and two micro
servos with a Hitec 555 mini reciever. I had a friend
makes these initial flights who has 20 years of flying experience.
The first two flights last about 20 seconds and the plane never gained more than 5 fett of altitude. (once we had to hit the deck to save from being shaved by the prop!). So back to the drawing
board I re-checked balance and ended up adding nose weight
to get it right. The plane still would not fly. So then I went
to a speed 480 motor with no flux ring, a new 18 A speed control and a CAM 5.9x5.9 prop (E-cal showed this to be the best combo). I removed the nose weight and cut out the fuse so as to get correct balance by moving the battery 2.5" forward. On a cool day (75F at 2,000 ft altitude), we got it up to 100', but it was still marginal. I'm not sure that even a cobalt 400 would be enough for this model. On the other GP recommended 700 mA hr 8 cell battery (saves 2 oz), it would not fly. I don't want to spend anymore on this turkey. I purchased it from Tower and I am about to return it. A complete waste of time!
Old 08-23-2002, 01:33 AM
rjinvestr
My Feedback: (1)

There is one guy down here who I've heard of that is relatively happy with his, but he used his own cobalt engine with gearbox. I don't know all particulars. was going to contact him but tried new gearbox with the supplied 400 and different prop. Dropped straight to the ground and broke again. I will not spend any more time nor effort on it. I'm still waiting for hobby shop owner to get a response from Ms. AM Cross @ Greatplanes.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:33 AM
SRA Foam Flyer

Doomed...this plane is DOOOOOOMED. It's just giving people to much trouble.
To RJ,
what gear ratio and prop did you use, the geared version people are converting to has been very successful(A whopping 2 people I know of)
This plane needs to come with nothing for 25.00, then you can stick whatever you want on it. Or they need to retro fit all the ones they haven't sold with the parts to make it the twin motor version. Maybe someone will buy the mold and sell it as a toy foam glider for 5.00.
Old 08-24-2002, 10:19 AM
Mel-inactive

Hi SRA,
Mel here, with the well modified Firebat, did it fly you asked ?
yes like a lead turkey !!!!!!!!!!! I can't figure this one out I remodelled it to as near to the Projeti shape as I could but still no. RIP Turkeybat .

Mel.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:44 PM
dkiel

Default Firebat

Hi everybody,

I would like to add my experience with the Firebat, but first a little info on myself. As a kid I flew RC planes with my dad, which was many years ago, but figured I could still handle it. The Firebat really caught my son's eye and mine so I decided to give it a try. After 4 attempts, 1 so so flight and 2 major repairs, I gave up figuring the delta wing was too much for my rusty skills, which now it resides in the trash can. Our second plane is a Terry from Hobby Lobby and we are having a lot of fun. It is a relief to hear the problems that others have had and to know that it was not all me. I too experienced not having enough power to fly which always lead the plane straight to the ground. In each attempt the plane was broken at the canards. After repairs and a couple more attempts the decision for the trash was depressing. Being such a cool looking plane and sparking the interest in my son I thought this would have brought more fun and interest getting back into RC Planes and sharing such a great hobby with my son.

Doug
Old 08-24-2002, 03:14 PM
Mel-inactive

Hi all,
First introduction to electrics and I have been put right off Thanks Great Planes !
I have no confidence to buy anything else electric , I don't want to waste any more time and money and wondering if what I have bought will fly this time. Yeah, sure the videos on the Hobby Lobby site look cool, probably all with Brushlessmotors !
I'm sticking with glow.

Have fun everyone, this is a great hobby.

Mel.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:15 AM
rjinvestr

A compliment for Ms. AM Cross @ Great Planes...I would like to publicly thank Ms. Ann Marie Cross. When my Hobby Shop owner called her, she immediately agreed to refund full purchase price of my Firebat reguardless of its condition. Thank You Ms. AnnMarie
Old 08-26-2002, 01:48 PM
rjinvestr

Mel... the "guys" at our field were talking about the Firebat being a plane that discourages people (especially newcomers) from staying in our hobby. Think about it...there's nothing more exciting than the thought of that "first flight" and there's nothing more devistating and disheartening than failure! "ezonemag" has a few discussions of the Firebat. While most entries seem to reference the many nasty letters sent to Great Planes, there is one guy...GWP...who really knows his stuff. He gives the formula for Firebat success. I know he's for real since a member of our club flies with him several times a week. I hope Great Planes admits their mistake, takes a lesson from GWP and reconsiders the combination...I'd much rather pay more for success than suffer the unavoidable effects of what they currently sell.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:55 PM
Mel-inactive

Absolutely ! I know the feeling of first flight blues, actually I sold the parts that came in the deluxe kit and recovered my losses.
I'm gonna give the Kyosho F16 a whirl next seems to have a pretty good report. Know anyone who has one ?.

BTW, do you think AM cross will refund me ? and all the other dissappointed flyers ? could turn out quite expensive !

Mel.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:01 PM
rjinvestr

Mel...I do not know anyone with Kyosho f-16. Before you spend that kind of money, you may want to check out electricjetfactory.com for alternative choices. I really wasn't looking for a jet, only something to fly around the nearby schoolyard. My son picked the Firebat as a joint venture for us both. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT TO US BOTH!!!
Old 08-26-2002, 05:15 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Overall, I think relatively few people have the Firebat, and relatively few of those relatively few will attempt to receive a refund based on their failure to get the airplane to fly. There are certainly a few that fly, and many more that were simply chucked in the trash in frustration. Some will get stuffed in a corner and put on the back burner.

Mel, I understand your frustration with electrics. People have sworn off glow for the exact same reasons. What kind of advice would you give them?

I am positively intrigued by this Firebat problem, and I'd love to be able to get my hands on one to see what all the fuss and muss is about.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:29 PM
rjinvestr

Mel...as for other refunds..at the roundtable discussion I referred to earlier, someone mentioned I should commend AM Cross for the refund. The thought had occured to me but I feared it could present a real problem for Great Planes. The general oppinion however was that Great Planes is selling a combination without sufficient research, that has cost many of us time and money. They should suffer the consequences! I do wish everyone the best of luck with getting a well deserved refund for their Firebat. With everything I've read on the forums...Great Planes has to be well aware of the problems yet they continue to sell the "deluxe" kit. SHAME ON THEM !!!
Remember back on post 41 AM Cross stated she was boycotting this post (something that did not set too well with some of my club members) therefore you may want to contact her through [email protected] for help.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:50 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Originally posted by rjinvestr
Remember back on post 41 AM Cross stated she was boycotting this post (something that did not set too well with some of my club members) therefore you may want to contact her through [email protected] for help.
If I remember correctly, she said that she was no longer responding to this thread because she would only be repeating what she already said.

I don't blame her for leaving this thread. You guys were beating her up pretty bad, and all she was doing was relating her personal experiences with the Firebat. It's not the customer support person's job to stand there and act like a punching bag for the company.

You all are making out like Great Planes intentionally put this Firebat together to screw people out of their money. Companies don't stay in business long doing that, even big ones like Great Planes. If you think they intentionally screwed you, seek professional help, as the delusions will only get worse.

If there's something fundamentally wrong with the Firebat, they're the ones that got screwed. They were given examples of the Firebat that performed properly, with the included gear, otherwise it never would have made it to market. Is it so unfathomable that the manufacturer, most likely a corrupt Chinese sweatshop, cut a few corners on the production versions of the Firebat that are the cause of everyone's problems? You can save millions in materials cost by making the wings a bit thinner, and it's all too easy to mill down the mold halves once the evaluation units are accepted.

Great Planes customer support is the absolute best out there. Ann Marie Cross in particular bends over backwards on a daily basis to make customers happy. Don't pat yourself on the back because you think all the p&m and chest-pounding is what got you your refunds. Great Planes would have done that for you outright. All you had to do was make a rational case for your dissatisfaction.

If you tossed your Firebat in the trash, it's your own fault. A quick call to Great Planes customer support and a little tact would have been much more satisfying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.