Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

software program? and battery question

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

software program? and battery question

Old 08-20-2004, 01:25 PM
rmoore7167

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default software program? and battery question

Im just new and a little overwhelmed with all the details. Not like the old days with Gas! Ive seen references to a couple of software programs for doing calcs. Batteries, props etc. Right now im just relying at guy at hobby shop.

Which one is the easiest to use? Not so concerned about cost

Battery
Being new, I thought (i dont know if my thinking is good here) Id just go into LiPoly batteries. Just seems that they are recommended the most. If Im wrong here let me know. Question some one told me that 3 cell Lipos cant be used on brushed motors?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: software program? and battery question

One thing you should learn about electrics is that there are no generalizations. It's true that you can't use a 3S LiPoly on brushed motors, but only SOME brushed motors, not all of them. Many brushed motors are quite happy on a 3S LiPoly, and many more can be used, if you keep in mind that the motor's lifespan will be shortened signifigantly.

The problem with any of the *calc programs is that they can't effectively tell you what to use. Just blindly going through the wizard, Motocalc, for example, will give you thousands of combinations, most of which are pretty wacky to the educated eye. The true value in a calc program is in verifying the behaviour of proposed combinations before you actually try them. They're not 100% accurate, but they're close enough to get you in the ballpark without frying something.

Personally, I find the advice and shared experience of others, along with the manufacturer's motor data and a pinch of salt much more useful, and tasty