Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Radio Dead Spot with Electrics

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Radio Dead Spot with Electrics

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 06:01 PM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio Dead Spot with Electrics

Hi there,
I am new to electric flying. I have a Zagi 400X and it flys great. I'm really happy with my electric experience so far.

One question I have, is: Is it common to have a radio dead spot with electric planes ?

When I fly my Zagi, I will often encounter what appears to be a radio dead spot when I'm flying. It seems to consistently happen when the model is flying towards me and my Tx antennae is pointed at the plane.

The Rx antenna runs span-wise through the wing and out the wing tip. If I am conscious to not point the antennae at the plane, it rarely does it. Is this common ?

R. Smith
Old 08-09-2002, 08:58 AM
Azarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, but, one of the worst things you can do while flying is to point your antenna at the plane. The signal radiates and the signal is weakest at the antenna end. It has nothing to do with the type of propulsion.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:04 PM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Azarr hit it on the nose. But to add a few things as well....
This happens a lot with some of the S400 planes I've flown. It seems to me that with all of the Rx equipment and arching, sparking cheap brushed motor in close proximity, you will have a higher rate of radio interference. Make sure you have all of the reccommended capacitors on the motor and let the antenna wire extend out (ie: no doubling back and forth in the wing). It may look ugly to have an antenna hanging out in the breeze, but it's better looking than a busted up airplane It may sound silly but try not to fly directly at yourself if you still have problems. Some of my receivers do this with brushed powered planes, some don't. Usually I get a quick elevator blip.