Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

speed 400 gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 03:30 PM
JBoss
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed 400 gearbox

I have a mini telemaster. It wieghs 17oz without battery . I use a 8 cell Kan 900 that wieghs 6 oz. I have used 2 different power setups At first I ran a speed 480 on an MPI 2.33:1 gearbox and it ran best with a 8 by 5 prop and performance was OK. That broke. I replaced it with a speed 400 on a master airscrew 2.5:1 gearbox. It performs best with a 9 by 4.5 apc.
Problem is both gearboxes were noist and the master airscrew has a bent shaft after a nose over landing on tall grass.
What is a good gearbox to use on a speed 400

Thanks
JimB
Old 10-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: speed 400 gearbox

What's a good gearbox? You've named two of the best. Gearboxes, heck, planes, were designed to land, not "arrive." Until you get your landings perfected, I'm afraid that no gearbox is going to be 100% bulletproof. If such a gearbox existed, it would be too heavy for the plane, and in a hard landing, would probably rip the entire motor and motor mount off the plane. When you beef up one spot, the next weakest one breaks...

If you want something inexpensive and easily replaceable, take a look at the GWS EPS400C gearboxes. Folding props help the situation too, but nothing will help more than becoming a better pilot...
Old 10-08-2004, 08:25 AM
JBoss

I just seems that the gearboxes are not smooth. I balance the props and still get a bit of an off sound. Its not the piloting skills either ( not that I never crash land) but in 4" grass most of the planes on the field all nose over after a few feet of rolling. even the 20 year vets. It apears now that the Master Airscrew was damages out of the box with a bent main shaft. I will try to get it replaced
Thanks
JimB
Old 01-09-2005, 11:30 AM
wow460

I'm useing a mp jet gearbox on my tele 3 to 1 ratio ,9x6 prop 3 cell li poly 1500 miliamp .I fly in colo at 6500 ft alt and haven't bent a shaft yet .I did extent the landing gear tho-- for use with skis
Old 01-09-2005, 03:24 PM
JBoss

OK Fellow Fliers.

Here is what I finally did and am very happy for it. I returned damages gearbox and Master Airscrew replaced it for shipping costs. They do stand behind thier product.
I purchased a MJ8050 3.33:1 Planetary Gearbox for SPEED 400 Motor ..... $ 30.90 from Hobby Lobby See Link [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/gear400.htm]Planetary Gearbox[/link]

This gearbox is smooth and quiet. It is just a couple steps up from the standard gearbox. I am sur the next step will be to go direct drive with a brushless but the wallet is not ready for that yet.

Happy Flyin

JBoss
Old 04-02-2005, 01:02 PM
T-minus-1

Hey JBoss, i am trying to find information on that planetary gearbox because I am thinking of putting one on my Parkzone F-27 Stryker. Did it boost the performance of your setup very much? I just want to know if it is worth the money or if I should skip it and empty my wallet into a brushless setup.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:03 AM
JBoss

Hi T-Minus-1
I am very happy with the planetary gearbox. It is very smooth but I cannot say at adds any more power. If you are willing I think a nice brushless setup would be the way to go. Even since this thread started the prices on brushless setups has dropped considerably. I would think you could gat a 400 speed setup for around a hundred bucks.

JBoss
Old 04-04-2005, 03:34 PM
T-minus-1

yeah you are probably right, i will go brushless eventually. I just wanted to beef up my styker a little first before i invested all the money into it. Thanks for the advice.