Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Li-Po and Brushed (can ) motor

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Li-Po and Brushed (can ) motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 07:39 PM
chris44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-Po and Brushed (can ) motor

Hi,

I would like to know if a 3 cell..2,000 mah Li-Po would be okay to use with a 550 brushed (can) motor.The glider is a World Model......EP Sailor...78 in w/span...665 sq in.I have a spare "Griffin" castle Creations 40amp ESC.

Thanks
Regards
Chris[]
Old 10-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Technito20

Default RE: Li-Po and Brushed (can ) motor

Yeah it wouldn't hurt anything. All brushed engines life is limited anyway. So eventually the brushes will burn out. And the more power you put into it the faster it'll burn out. I just hate dealing with brushed engines. I'd personally say whenever you get a chance go brushless. The Castle Creation's Phoenix-35 speed controller would be great with a E-Flite brushless 400 engine. About a total of $140-USD depending on where you buy it. By the way I have the Castle Creation's Griffin-40 speed controller also. Good Speed controller for brushed engines.

GoodLuck
Old 10-25-2004, 07:10 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Li-Po and Brushed (can ) motor

Actually, not enough information is provided.

Which "3-cell, 2000mAh LiPo?"
What are you trying to turn with this 550 motor?

There are several 2000mAh LiPolys on the market, and some of them will burn out on the Amps a typical 550 motor will draw, especially if you're running direct drive with the stock prop most of these 2m gliders come with. For these, a 2-cell LiPoly is the maximum, and it will have to be a pretty hearty one at that, rated for 15C or so in the 2000mAh size. A better bet would be to run two 2-cell packs in parallel, in a 2S2P configuration. Then you get some weight savings and a huge boost in run time.