Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

eflites - ascent glider

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 01:28 AM
classicmarble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eflites - ascent glider

hi,
I'm new to this site...but was looking for anybody who has an ascent that could share a few comments on what they put inside theres...I'm using the stock 400, 3cell lypo. have had it up twice and it is very cool. my friends have brush less. with throttle management my 400 gets hot. hobby store talks about putting holes in the side of the fuselage and air scoops. any comment would be appreciated. thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 04:04 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: eflites - ascent glider

You're putting too much power through the motor. The propeller/motor combination was designed for 8 NiCd/NiMH cells. You're pumping the equivalent of 10 cells through it. 25% increase... No big deal, right? Wrong. A 25% increase in Volts brings a proportional 25% increase in Amps along with it for a 56% overall increase in power. Unless you reduce prop size and get the Amps down, the motor won't last very long. Even then, the excessive RPMs caused by the high voltage will signifigantly reduce the lifespan of the motor.

Running at partial throttle is not a solution, unfortunately. ESCs are just really fast on/off switches. They put full-power pulses through the motor many thousands of times per second. These full-power pulses will still get the motor hot, because the motor simply can't take the stress...
Old 10-28-2004, 09:45 AM
classicmarble

Default RE: eflites - ascent glider

Hi Matt,
Thank you for your input, it was helpful. I guess I really new all of it when i went with the 3 cell lipoly, but in the back of my mind I was always thinking about moving up to brushless. Wanted to see what a 400 did. Took it up yesterday, went well. The speed controller was cool in temp. but the 400 got HOT. What do you think about a 480 in the plane? OOOOO, by the way I did take the prop and reduced it to a 6-3.
Thanks , Paul