Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Should i get a new plane?

Old 11-15-2004, 02:25 AM
snowball1288

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i get a new plane?

Heya everyone... im kinda new to RC planes (i own a electric and nitro car though, and am happy with both)
I have a hitec skyscooter, which a guy at my LHS recommended to me... i think i might stick with that plane and REALLY learn to fly it. Ive flow it about 10 times... i can fly comfortably without crashing... i like how i can just skid into the grass to land, and throw it to take off.

I was reading another post, and someone recommended a GWS Slow stick... i looked at this plane on towerhobbies.com and fell in love with it... now im torn between my nitro car and a new plane lol
I would like a plane with a speed control, which my skyscooter doesnt have, and the slow stick can use one...

Anyways... the plane is 30 bucks, no biggie.

So my questions are:

1) Can i throw this plane to take off? With its aluminum and Foam construction.. can i land it in grass w/o landing gear?
2) Does it have good flying charactoristics for a beginner? I see it doesnt have ailerons... Will the rudder alone work well?
3) Is the recommended radio (link below) worth the money? Are there cheaper ones? lol it costs 5x what the plane costs...
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LXGAE8**

Thanks so much guys...
Old 11-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Should i get a new plane?

Just punch up a search on "Slow Stick." You'll get a good idea of how the plane flies with just a rudder. The plane rarely disappoints, and when it does, it's usually because the owner didn't follow the instructions.

You can land it in grass WITH landing gear. The wheels are like 3" in diameter, and narrow, so they roll through tall grass easily. Throw it, or ROG, either way it takes off fine.

I always recommend you buy the best radio you can afford if you plan on sticking with the hobby. Are there cheaper ones than the one you posted? Sure there are. Tower has a couple if you look around their website. With the Slow Stick you'll want to get the GWS flight pack that's meant for it, so you won't need the standard receiver and servos that come with the transmitter. Look for a transmitter-only package, and remember that Tower Hobbies isn't the only source of hobby gear out there. Look in magazines. Look at the banner ads on this site. There are hundreds of places to look.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:39 PM
snowball1288

Default RE: Should i get a new plane?

what site would you recommend to shop on (besides towerhobbies)? My parents still think that we're going to fall victim to a huge scam.... lol ... so its got to be a mainstream, big hobby site... any ideas?

A cheaper radio would be nice. I want to stick with this hobby, but i doubt i will be buying another plane, so i only need one 3 channel radio (although 4 would be nice, just in case).

Will this one work? It should.... right?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXHWJ5**&P=K

The only thing is that the throttle is on the back, right where your left hand index finger would rest. Would it be awquard to have throttle here?