Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Flaperons

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Jobu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaperons

I just got a Hitec Flash five and wanted to set up flapperons. I set up two servos with a y connector for the ailerons but the instructions are not all that clear. If anyone has any suggestions without being a bother, could you fill me in.

Thanks
Joe
Old 11-27-2004, 10:16 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Flaperons

Your not going to get flaperons with a Y harness. You need each aileron pluged into 2 separate channels. I don't know if your radio does this. READ the instructions.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:06 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My futaba 6 channel uses the servos on channel 1 and 6 and you enable the flaperon funtion.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The instructions ARE clear. I've read them myself. One aileron servo in channel 1, on in channel 5, activate flaperon on the transmitter.

Really, it's pretty simple.

BTW, is this a Flash 5 or 5X? If it's only a 5, I don't think it has flaperons.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:14 AM
Jobu

Its a Flash 5X. I set it up with the Y connector for the 4ch first to try out the plane (new).

I just skimmed the instructions and thought the settings where overwhelming at first but I think I get them.

Thanks

Joe
Old 11-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Chrisblader13

what ever kind of plane it is flaperons make any plane very hard to fly so take a step back and think about it again
Old 12-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Jobu

I figured it would be easier to land with flaps?
joe
Old 12-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

There's a major difference between flaps and flaperons. True flaps only cover the inboard portion of the wing, near the cockpit area. They only effect the aerodynamics of the inner part of the wing. This way, the outer portion of the wing has a lower angle of attack than the inner part, and won't stall as quickly. When the inner part of the wing stalls, but the outer part is still flying, the plane stays stable and controllable.

Flaperons, that is, ailerons, cover at least the outer portion of the wing, if not the whole wing. If you get too slow, the outer parts of the wing stalls, making the plane very unstable. It's anybody's guess at that point as to what will happen. Generally, the plane flips over and cartwheels down the runway...

Flaperons in and of themselves are not BAD things on all planes. Most of the time, they won't even make an appreciable difference to the landing behaviour of the plane. Flaps are large surfaces that drop at fairly steep angles, 40 degrees or more. The ailerons on most R/C sport aircraft move 25 degrees on a good day, and aren't very large.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Most of the time, they won't even make an appreciable difference to the landing behaviour of the plane. Flaps are large surfaces that drop at fairly steep angles, 40 degrees or more. The ailerons on most R/C sport aircraft move 25 degrees on a good day, and aren't very large.
I've always had good luck with them, but it depends on the plane. I set up flaperons on most of my gas planes, and on several they've made a huge difference. I have a Sig King Kobra with flaperons, and it slows way down on final for a nice, slow, long approach and smooth touchdown. I also have an Ace Seamaster that does the same; the flaperons make it incredibly slow. Flaperons aren't as big as dedicated flaps, but the ones that run the full span of the wing seem to make up for some of the chord difference in length. When setting them up, you want to try and get the most downward movement possible with no servo stalling. When building the plane, you can use larger than stock ailerons if you know you want to use flaperons. If the plane has ailerons on the wing tips that don't run full span, you're right, flaperons don't work as well. But, if you have dedicated flaps, you can use the tip ailerons as "spoilerons" where they both kick up, and the flaps go down. Awesome speedbrakes! They do more than slow the plane down on final- you can use flaperons for some cool aerobatics. If you set up a programable mix, you can do very crisp, tight box loops. Another reason I like them is the redundency of 2 servos on the ailerons. This paid off big with a Cermark F20 I had. Lost an aileren servo, but never knew it until I landed after feeling a little reduced roll control.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:38 PM
WhtBronco

I fly all my planes with flaperons. They take off in a shorter distance, land slower and do loops so tight it's amazing. My little Eflite Ultimate doesn't fly well without flaperons in fact. My fun fly takes off in about 5' and goes vertical from there with flaperons. I love them. Imagine 4 huge ailerons and one large elevator all at 40 degrees throw. The loops, well maybe flips, are awesome. Without flaperons I have not been able to do harrier landings, with them it's no problem though. Put it on a switch so you can turn it on and off in flight and see if you like it. If set up properly I bet you will. Start out with a low mix of elevator to flapeons then increase as you desire. I like 100% mix. Course I like my controls very sensative. I DO NOT use or like exponential and I rarley use dual rate. I usually set the surfaces at full deflection and fly 'em hard. My DPM Ultimate 40 is the only exception to this. I have to use D/R on the ailerons or they are too sensative for precision flight.

Wish my heli had this option, hehehe.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:31 AM
macafied

Yes, the Flash 5x can do flaperons. I belive it is channels 1 and 5. Check the manual to make sure.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Jobu

What I'm not clear on is the "type of plane" setting option to select. I have the choice between...

Acro: Elev dual and expon rates chan 2
3 Position flap or retract ch 5
Aileron dual and expon rates

Glid: 3 position throttle or flap ch3
flaperon / camber and elev, flp2 1/5 & 2
Aileron and elev dual and expon rates 1 & 2 or 1/5 & 2

Glidarco: elev dual and expon rates 2
flap/ spoileron, flap1 1/5 & 2
aileron dual and expon rates 1 0r 1/5

I have full length ailerons and want to use them as flaperons (P51,Estarter,Eagle epp) so I assume I should use "Glid" choice. This gives me flapperons and dual rates for elev and aileron.

In response to WhtBronco..."Put it on a switch so you can turn it on and off in flight and see if you like it. If set up properly I bet you will. Start out with a low mix of elevator to flapeons then increase as you desire. I like 100% mix"

What is a good mix for elev and flaperons? (this will give plane a preset amount of elevator when flaperons are flipped on?) I assume more elev on sport plane for less tendancy to nose dive.

Thanx Joe
Old 12-10-2004, 01:05 PM
WhtBronco

Looks like this would be the choice to activate flaperons on your radio:
flap/ spoileron, flap1 1/5 & 2

No the flaperons mix the flaps/slave to elevator/master. So that when you move the elevator the flaps move as well. I would start out with about 10-15% flaps mixed to the elevator and see how that does. Like I said I prefer 100% meaning that if the elevator is at 100% of it’s travel so are the flaps. Now I have mine setup so that when the elevator goes up the flaps go down and vice-versa. The reason I suggest putting the mix on a switch, if possible, is so you can turn the mix on/off when you want to. The only time I don't use the mix is for trying to hover and doing flat spins.

What you are thinking of is using just flaps. Flaps are either on or off usually. They are not proportional like flaperon mix is. If you use flaps, such as for landing, then you might want to mix a bit of elevator to the flap that is correct. However, that is not what I use nor what I am suggesting you do. The way I do it setting the elevator as master and the flaps moving as slave proportionally with the elevator you do get most of the effect of flaps on landing and take off anyway. Not 1 of my planes takes more than 20 feet to take off from a stand still. My fun fly is less than 10'. That's why I use flaperons.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:32 AM
Jobu

Thanks for the good info. I am using flaperons.

I actually just finished programming 4 of my planes to the new radio and I found it easier than I thought.

I have flaperons on 3 position switch.
UP: flprns down 50%
MID: neutral
DWN: flprns down 50% and elevator up 20%

Does that sound about right? I have that setup on a High wing trainer GWS ESTARTER and a semi aerobatic shoulder height wing SmoothE.

I am looking forward to using dual rates too. Only wish i bought this radio first. Also will be test flying new P51 but don't have it setup with flaperons. I need to get another dual conversion 5ch rx.

What is the best way to mix flaperons and elev in that plane, roughly?

Also have you ever used aileron/rudder mix? Sound like it would turn on a dime and help correct dives in a roll.

Thanks again to all...it helped alot

Joe