Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

dual vs. single conversion receivers

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

dual vs. single conversion receivers

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:18 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual vs. single conversion receivers

compared to single conversion, dual conversion receivers are supposed to be better in terms of less glitches, interference, etc., correct? but i've also heard that it doesnt really make too much of a difference and they are just heavier and not that much better than single conversion.

i've been using a cirrus mrx-4 single conversion receiver and for the most part, it's ok. i'll occassionally get glitches but most of the time, it's not too bad. i was considering getting a dual conversion for my next plane b/c it's an expensive one and i dont want to take any chances. will it make a difference?

are there any specific dual conversion micro receivers that someone can recommend? i need as light as possible. the electron 6 is a bit too heavy but that's all my local hobby store stocks.

thanx.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:22 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: dual vs. single conversion receivers

there aren't really any micro dual's out, but go with a berg dsp single rx. it is just as good and in many ways BETTER then a full size dual.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:19 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have my vote on the Berg too.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:07 AM
jooNorway

The only advantage of using a dualconv receiver is when you fly in areas where there are a lot of transmitters (radio/TV etc) which transmits on a frequency twice or trippel of your RC-equipment. That`s the noise they are good on filtering out! A cheap DC-RX is most likely of a lower quality than a SC-RX at the same price. This is because there in fact are 3 crystals in a DC-RX and it demands an extreme high quality in the filters not to make too much internal noise...
The very best small receiver is the Schulse, no doubt! http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.com/prs40_e.htm
Old 12-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Defranci

Have an Electron 6 & 555 and they are good rcvrs. but my Bergs are smaller, lighter and give better performance. All future purchases will be Berg.
Don
Old 12-28-2004, 07:47 AM
pmmartin

In what way and how does the Berg give better performance. I thought receivers either worked or they didn't. I didn't know one could give better performance than the next one as long as it was a dual conversion. Would you explain what that means as I am curious.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:23 AM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I say go with a Berg. As far as performance goes, there are good and bad receivers both dual and single conversion. If i'm not mistaken, all JR receivers are single conversion so that in itself should tell you it's all a matter of quality of contrustion, design and the parts that go into it. It's like anything alse you buy, you get the performance you pay for. In a decent environment, with a brushless motor, a Hitec feather rx will work like a champ but when there is other electrical noise like other flyers it can't cut through the "noise" to give clean signal and it glitches.
FMA makes several good small rxs but as far as lightest and most depenadable I have seen is the Berg Microstamp 4 channel. I'm sure there are others but I have six or seven Bergs right now that I trust completely and not just for micro stuff! I had one in a 25% Katana and another in a YS 110 powered OMP Yak Profile. They are what I use in my quickie 500 planes as well.
Matt
Old 12-28-2004, 12:31 PM
pmmartin

Most JR receivers are dual conversion. I can see that most of what is being said here is based on opinion with very little fact. It is OK to have an opinion of what you like. I wouldn't tell someone it was better than something you have never tried!
Old 12-29-2004, 01:56 PM
jooNorway

Well pmmartin:

First of all: I have tried a lot of brands (for the last 30 years) sold in Europa. I do not know anything about Berg because I have never seen it here in Europa. Maybe only sold in USA?
Second: Here in Norway the most common used frequensies are on the 35MHz-band. Therefore the interferences that causes glitches and problems may differ a bit.
I have been using only Multiplex transmitters for the last 16 years, but when I began flying electrics I looked around for what was hot and small and lightweight on the market no matter which brand. And I have also seen which boxes other people have had only trouble with!

I do have an Electron6 DC receiver, and I do use this thing in a slope soarer today. Never had problems with this one, but as you say on the heavy side for small indoors. Then you may think that all Hitec`s are OK, but as an example the Feather receiver is common known as the worst thing sold anytime! 3 out of 4 don`t work on a distance of 30 meters.....

Some of my planes are equipped with Multiplex Pico 3/4, and these work great until I put on the stub-antenna on my transmitter.... Semirange RX`s.

My favourite-receiver for the smallest ones is a PentaRX 5-ch weighing only 4 gram incl xtal! Reliable indoor but of course there will be glitches when I try to exceed 80-100 meters! Great RX!

I have seen some strange problems on Jeti and other brands, therefore I do not put any money in these brands, it`s enough for me to watch other pilots problems time after time. A kind of experience this too!

But in Europe there are one (1) brand known as the best lightweight RX! As I said: Schulse. Of course I do have some of these myself, SingleConversions, full range, not the very smallest but the most reliable no doubt!! These ones have never caused me any problems. And you can put them in a larger plane and use it as a "normal" fullrange.

That`s it!

But in my big planes there are only one brand for me: Multiplex, preferably IPD, and a DS is OK too. Just because I deserve it
Old 12-29-2004, 02:50 PM
pmmartin

jooNorway---

I can understand all of that and if size is a major concern then that certainly has to become a major issue and I do know that not all of the little receivers work well. I don't fly anything smaller than .40 size so that isn't an issue.

I wouldn't dispute anything you said and congratulate you on a job well done on your reply. If I could afford Multiplex that is what I would be using. I have had good luck with the dual conversion Hitec receivers in all my electric planes and had no problem when I used them in glow models. We all use what works for us.