Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

E-Flight Tribute-More questions(servos, hinges)

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

E-Flight Tribute-More questions(servos, hinges)

Old 01-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Jerseymac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flight Tribute-More questions(servos, hinges)

(This post is from a new guy to electrics so, please forgive my stupid comments)
OK, I pretty much have my Tribute done except for figuring the way to connect the darn ThunderPower battery to the plane. Why do I have that tiny red connector at the end of the battery and a couple of large wires with no connector on the ESC. Now I have to (according to my LHS) cut the darn thing off and solder Deans Ultra connectors on the leads. Also, I buy an Accu-Cycle Elite and here again, no way to connect it to anything! Couldn't they at least have included a couple of adapters? I know there are quite a few configurations out there, but how about supplying at least the most common connectors.
Darn! That isn't even the subject of my post. Its that everytime I think about the non-standardization of electric power I go a little nuts.
Here are my questions:
1 - Isn't there a better way to hinge the elevator and rudder other than the clear tape that came with the plane. As I was trying to position them, I had to pull them off the tape for re-alignment and spacing. After a couple of tries, I didn't like the appearance of the tape. So, I tried clear packing tape but I think that might be a little stiff.
Is there a better way to hinge them or at least a really good tape?
2 - I mounted the HS-55 servos using the tape that has two parts. One sticks to the plane, the other sticks to the servo. Then you stick the two together. The problem is that when I move the elevator and rudder I can see the servos moving a little and looking like they could pop off the plane. Is there a recommended way to attach the servos to foam that makes them secure so they won't move? A way that allows me to take them off easily to use on another plane?
3 - Do you guys trust that little screw in the Dubro mini E/Z connector that holds the control rod to the servo? It seems that that it could come lose enough to allow the rod to slip inside the connector. Especially if you were putting the control surfaces under a lot of stress. Just to handle these small screws and adapters is a real hassle. Makes me wish I had taken brain surgery. Not much difference.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: E-Flight Tribute-More questions(servos, hinges)

3. There isn't a whole lot of force on these connectors. Plus, this is a lightweight foamie; if you notice a problem, cut power and put it in. You will have a modicum of control, so you won't do much damage.

2. Two parts? Mine came with pieces of double-sided tape. The servos are STUCK to the foam. I think I'd need a jackhammer to get 'em off.

1. Tape is the best method. Embedding hinges in the foam isn't as strong; you get more surface contact with tape. As far as being too stiff, try it and see. Dubro has a special hinge tape but I haven't seen any buzz about it. Most people just use cut-down packaging tape. There are also several different types of packaging tape. The cheap stuff you get at the dollar store is the thinnest.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Jerseymac

Thanks Matt,

I'll give the hinges and connectors a try. I was just thinking that maybe I could use some locktite to make sure the tiny screws didn't come loose. Guess I am getting too paranoid. Its just that the Somethin Extra that I am building is put together like a rock. These things seem so fragile.

Got any ideas on what to do with the motor that came with the Tribute?
Is it even worth trying to put into another plane?
I was going to get another ESC, receiver and some servos anyway to put into another plane, but if I bought an ESC for the brushed motor, it would only work on a brushed motor?

One more thing. I had walked away from one of my new lipo batteries and hadn't put the connectors on it yet.
So, my dog was checking out my work bench and when I came back he had just moved the battery so that the wires were touching.
Needless to say, it started sparking. Now the voltage measures only 7.00. I guess I lost a battery, right?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Loctite never hurts.

These planes are fragile; all planes are, really. They don't need to be so beefy because they don't have to withstand the violent shaking of an engine. Also, "bend, not break." They're not as fragile as you think they are, though. A couple of rough landings will have you impressed.

The motor is the same as a "Speed 300" and is good for a 2S LiPoly or 8 NiCd/NiMH cells, and about 8 Amps. They're quite versatile. Most every GWS plane on the market these days comes with one of these, and they do quite well for themselves. If you used the gearbox on the Tensor, I wouldn't get too broken up about the motor being "left over." They're not very expensive, so most "300/350/370" powered planes come with one. Keep this one in reserve as a spare.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:20 AM
jooNorway

Although Matt already have said the most I give some comments from my own experience...;

1: My favourite hinging on foamies is the use of double-sided-glue (Scotch) tape, two pieces (5-6 cm), in "S"-form, side-by-side, the opposite way, forming an extremely easy throw hinge and no binding. 4-5 of these pairs at each aileron works great. If you hinge in the rudder center small pieces cut from a floppy-disk works OK as a hinge.

2: I often put a round of masking-tape around my servoes and then simply glue them in place using UHU Por glue. Rock steady and easy to clean up afterwards by just removing the tape... Usually when the foamie is ready for the trash-can... [&:]

3: The mini-connectors work well, have never seen any failures here