Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

lame servos

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 06:22 AM
reneb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lame servos

Is it just my opinion or is the hi-tec hs55 servos suck. I broke a tooth the the servo twice. If you breath on the servo you'll break it. Who makes a real good servo in all sizes? or who is known to make a good micro,nano (small) reliable servo?
Old 02-10-2005, 11:05 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: lame servos

What size/ type of plane are you using them in? I use several HS-55's and haven't ever had a problem. I think they are excellent servos. I also use some GWS Naro servos and they do pretty well too but I prefer the HS-55's. MPI also has servos of similar size that are supposed to be good. There are also FMA and Cirrus servos in this size and smaller. I personally haven't tried any of those but have heard good things about all of them. Hope this helps.

Brian
Old 02-10-2005, 12:35 PM
jooNorway

The HS-55 is used by thousands of pilots, there have to be something good with it.....
I have never broke a gear on any servoes except when bumping into doors etc with the rudders on my way to the car... And this is "normal" since the plastic-gears are overloaded the wrong way!
On the other hand; I have bought my last HS-55 anyway, too poor ref-potmeters in them and to many strange failures [:'(] I use Waypoint in all my small birds being happy with my choise.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

reneb,

One way to avoid damage is to NEVER twist the servo output arm by hand. You'll strip the gears on any plastic-geared servo. Instead, connect it to the receiver and let it center itself automatically.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:36 PM
reneb

thanks for all the help. i have bumped the alerion and broke a tooth. it just seems to take such little presure.my hs55 seem to make nois when not being turned by the controls. is that the issue with the servo or the rx? i tried to adjust it with the tx, it made it a little better,but still there.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Servos generally buzz because of binding in the linkages. If, for example, the pushrod is running through a tube in the fuselage, and exits at a weird angle, you can get some serious binding.

Servos also buzz if the control surface is too large/heavy for the servo to hold up. This means you need a larger servo.

It's starting to sound like you may be overestimating the capabilities of these HS55 servos. What are you using them on?
Old 02-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

<<snip>>It's starting to sound like you may be overestimating the capabilities of these HS55 servos. What are you using them on?
I was about to suggest that. I suspect this '55 is running with the pushrod in the innermost hole at the aileron, and the outermost hole at the servo. That's a sure recipe for pulling teeth off, with a bump of the barn-door aileron. With that arrangement on an elevator, even a hard landing can break a tooth. (The elevator will bang down, on a hard landing, applying load to the servo.)

The solution : Reduce the leverage your control surface has on the servo. Put the link in the outermost hole at the control surface, for starters. If things still break, or you really need more travel, try a bigger servo.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 02-11-2005, 05:09 PM
reneb

thanks. ill move it to the hole closest to the servo.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:46 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

What plane are you using these in?????