Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Props for electric motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 06:09 PM
capman231

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Props for electric motors

Can someone tell me the difference between the APC "E" prop and their "Slow Flyer" and when is one better
than the other? I am going to be putting together a 3dfoamy Edge 540 "Pro Wing" and have a Himax 2025 / 4200
and every thing I read says a 12X6 prop but doesn't distinguish between types.

Capman231
Old 01-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Direwolf

Default RE: Props for electric motors

The APC "E" propellers are light-weight, thin propellers that are designed to operate efficiently at higher RPM's while minimizing the amount of torque required to turn the prop. There are perfect for brushless motors. Slow flyer props are light-weight props designed to maximize thrust at lower RPM's.

An APC "E" 12x6 will work very well. However, it's been my experience that an 11x7 will be more efficient, while producing the same amount of thrust.

I can tell you that my fiberglassed GWS Corsair which weighs about 24oz with a 2025-4200 running an APC 11.5x4 Sport prop (which is the heavy type). I use a Thunderpower 2100mAh 3S 10C LiPo battery and a Phoenix 25 ESC. In static tests, this setup produces about 18.9 Amps at full throttle. I have a set of APC "E" props on the way, and I plan to test the static thrust and power I get out of each prop. I'll try to remember to post those values when I get them.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Direwolf

Forgot we were talking 3D here.

Go with the 12x6E prop. An 11x7 might be more efficient in Forward flight, which is debatable anyway, but the 12" diameter will give you more balance for 3D.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:52 PM
capman231

Thanks for the input Brian. This is my first electric (Been Flying since 1970) and I have a lot to learn...If I understand
what you said my Himax motor with 6.6 gears (Himax Gear Box) should use the 12X6E. I will also think about the 11X7E
to. I am trying to get the plane to weigh about 12 Oz's RTF.

Howard