Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help needed building a "Super Slow Stick"

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Help needed building a "Super Slow Stick"

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 12:49 AM
manateemedia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed building a "Super Slow Stick"

Ok, I think it is safe to say that I'm a bit lost. But, I will try my best to explain my situation.

I'm trying to build a "super slow stick" and have the following setup:

Thunder Power Lipo battery (1320 mah/7.4v)

Jeti Advance 18-3P brushless controller.

Hitech Electron 6 Receiver

Uberall "Nippy Black" 1812/100 External Rotor Brushless Motor

Hobbico Quick Field Charger

Now for the questions...

1. The battery has two wires, one positive, one negative. What connectors do I need to solder
to those wires so that they will connect to the motor controller AND allow me to connect to the battery
charger? I bought some G3.5 Gold connectors and it is logical that those would connect to red and black
wires on the controller, but what about the charger? Perhaps I just get two wires with matching G3.5 connectors
that connect to the charger....

2. On the other side of the controller, there are 3 wires. One red (+), one black (-) and a white one. There are no
instructions that came with the motor as to where the wires go... i.e. they are not labeled on the motor. There are three
tabs on the motor to solder the wires to and I'm assuming the white one goes in the middle (as it already is in the middle) and the red one goes
on the right and black one on the left. This would be if the motor was pointing away from you and you can see the inside of the motor. Does
this sound right?

3. I'm guessing it might be best to get seperate wires to solder to the motor and get more connectors to connect the three wires from
the motor to the controller.... rather than soldering the wires on the controller directly to the motor. Probably a dumb question, but does
that sound correct?

I have other questions concerning how to mount the motor to the slow stick, but I'll worry about that later. Right now, I'm more
interested in getting the electronics figured out. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they are much appreciated.

I'm planning on building this thing to do some photography... so once I get this finally built, I'll post an update.

Thanks!
James
Old 01-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help needed building a "Super Slow Stick"

1. You would solder the battery connector of your choice to the ESC leads, and its matching mate to the battery. You would also need a second set of these connectors to make up a set of charge leads. The gold barrel connectors are okay, but I prefer to only have to make one connection, plus the separate leads could contact each other and short out... I use Dean's Ultra connectors for the battery-to-ESC connections. Some people also use Anderson Power Poles, aka Sermos connectors. It's a matter of personal preference.

2. The exact order of the wires is not important, as long as the motor runs in the proper direction. Unfortunately, there's no way to predict which way the motor will run. If the motor spins the wrong direction, all you have to do is swap any two of the wires, and the motor will run in the opposite direction.

3. Either way is just fine. Solder direct, or use your barrel connectors. Just don't make the leads any shorter than they already are. Also make sure that the additional wire you install is at least as heavy as the ESC wire, and that they're all the same length. Keep the additional wire to a minimum.