Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

new some advice on my mini electric plane

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

new some advice on my mini electric plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 10:01 PM
grant-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new some advice on my mini electric plane

I just bought a gws edp 50xc motor and prop combo. On 7.2 volts it makes 2.10 ounces of thrust and draws 1.66 amps of current. weight .53 ounces, A gws ics 50 speed controller weight .15 ounce
I also bought a E- Tech 7.4 volt 450 mah Li Poly battery weight .87 ounces.

The plane is made from pink foam like blue core and a stick of lattice cut down thin.

Wing is 14 inches X 6 inches H stab is 18% v stab 9%. 1 inch ailerons and 1 inch elevator. 2 hs 55 servos and a gws pico 4 channel rx.

AUW with 2 servos, push rods and horns and the rx a whopping 1.8 ounces
AUW total should be 3.36 ounces. Now i should be able to get 450/1660 * 60 16 mins of flight time at full throttle!

I am a tad concerned about the thrust to weight ratio. 2.1 ounces of thrust to 3.36 to 4 ounces of plane weight. How much variation can it be between the two?
The wing loading is around 6 ounces per sq inch it is in the good range for the Reynolds numbers as well around 7 on the 6 to 9 scale. 6 being a floater 9 getting on the heavy side.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: new some advice on my mini electric plane

Thrust only has to overcome drag in order to accelerate the plane forward. The weight of the plane is irrelevant.

Actually, your thrust to weight ratio is quite good. A plane will fly with as little as 1:4 for thrust:weight ratio. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:57 AM
grant-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: new some advice on my mini electric plane

I was thinking if you scaled this up and had a engine producing 5lbs of thrust and a plane weight 10 lbs. Doesnt seem like it would fly.
At 4 ounces the wing loading will be 6.86 and the cubic wing loading 8.97. if it comes out a tad lighter like i expect it will be 5.76 and 7.5.

humm so my 2.1 ounce thrust motor could fly a 8 ounce plane if the wing loading was low enough.