Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

GWS PT-17 with floats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 12:15 PM
spitfiremk2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS PT-17 with floats?

Anybody flying a GWS PT-17 with floats? I have not flown the plane yet. My plane weighs 23.72 ounces with the floats. But I have to add another 3.47 ounces of weight in the nose to balance the plane at the indicated balance point (10mm back from leading edge on the bottom wing). Bring the total weight to 27.19 ounces for flying. Is this a bit "heavy"? Thanx Scott
Old 02-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: GWS PT-17 with floats?

It won't fly like that. That's about 10 ounces overweight.

What floats did you use?

Instead of adding a quarter pound to the nose, try moving components forward. Maybe move the battery right out into the cowl area, punched right through the firewall? Remount the floats further forward? Extreme problems require extreme solutions.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:52 PM
spitfiremk2

I used the GWS floats... The plane with no battery weighs 15.55 oz. The floats weigh 4.15 oz. The li-po battery (11.1V) 1500mah weighs 4.02 oz. The wheels with the attaching hardware weighs 75 oz. if used inplace of the floats. And that 3.50 oz of balast would be mounted in the foam engine. I can move the floats foward about 3/4 inch. And everything in the plane is moved as far foward as possible. Do you have one with floats? How much weight did you have to add? THANX Scott Tingley
Old 02-04-2005, 07:57 PM
spitfiremk2

That's .75 oz for the wheels... The motor is a 400 with a 10x6 prop. Thanx Scott