Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help me to understand charging batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Help me to understand charging batteries

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:25 AM
reneb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me to understand charging batteries

What is the best way to charge Nicd, Nimh, Lipoly? How long should it take? How do you measure the battery to see if it is fully charged? Is there really a difference in chargers, beside the obvious that you need separate chargers? How long should the battery hold the charge? Are some batteries better than others?
Old 02-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Help me to understand charging batteries

The best way to charge any battery is with a charger that's designed to charge it. Peak-detect for NiCd and NiMH, and a special LiPoly charger for LiPoly.

How long will it take? Depends on the charge rate. Most chargers on the market now have adjustable current. Normally, you would adjust the current so that it was equal to the battery's capacity, and the charge would take approximately an hour.

How do you measure a battery to see if it's fully charged? With NiCd and NiMH, you don't. You can't tell if the battery is 95% full or 5% full using external measurements. The only way to make sure a NiCd or NiMH is "full" is to "peak" it with a peak detect charger. That is, connect it to the charger, set the current, and hit the "charge" button. If the pack is full, it will only take a few minutes. This is a good way to "warm up" NiMH batteries before a flight to get the best performance from them.

A LiPoly is full when the voltage reads 4.2 Volts per series connected cell, while the battery is at rest.

What kinds of differences are you looking for? Are all chargers the same? No, they're not all the same. Less expensive chargers have fewer features, and may not be able to charge as many cells, or charge them as quickly.

How long should a battery hold a charge? Well, all batteries will self discharge over time. NiCds and NiMH will self discharge quite quickly; if you leave a pack for more than overnight, you should re-peak it for best performance. LiPolys, on the other hand, hold their charge for a long time, and do NOT need to be re-peaked before flight, even if you charged it over a week ago.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:20 PM
reneb

What is the best charger that you would recomend?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

To charge what? Small packs, large packs, NiCd, NiMH, LiPoly, fast, slow, cheap, expensive, computerized?

For a typical park flyer that wants to buy one charger and be done with it, I'd say the Great Planes Triton. You can supplement it with other, less expensive chargers for multiple pack capability in the future.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:59 AM
lfeitor

Hi Matt,
I have also a few questions:
I have one battery 8.4 v 600 mah. What does this mean? I need to charge it only with a charger of 8.4 volts or I can use another more powerfull? Can I use a charger of 1000 mah?
Thanks.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

I would also strongly recommend the Great Planes Triton.

Ive use alot of different chargers out there, and the Triton beats them all hands down.

It will charge NiCD, NiMH, Pb, Li-Ion, LiPo...just about anything.

The thing I like the most about it is that it gives you and instant LCD display of what's happening with the battery. It will tell you voltage of the battery, and how full it is, and how many amps the charger is cranking into the battery. Best thing is it beeps at you when its finished, so if your at the flying field, you dont have to keep going over to check if its done.

The charger is a little pricey at $100+, but well worth the money. You will probably never need another charger.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:54 AM
lfeitor

Well, I read all the information related to the triton but, my main problem is that the input is 120V and, in almost all Europe we use 220 V input.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

Actually the triton power input is 12V DC, so all you need is a power supply to plug into your wall socket 220V that delivers 12V DC. Maybe a computer power supply conversion or a commercial 12V power supply.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Maxtor

Make sure it's a high quality switch mode PSU capable of delivering enough amps, a small 12v psu will just melt and/or hurt your charger!
Old 02-14-2005, 06:58 AM
lfeitor

You're right. I will analyse this possibility. Thank you for your reply.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:00 AM
lfeitor

Yes. I have one 9v. 1000 mha that almos melt my battery. I will buy 2 more batteries and a good charger. Thank you for your reply.