Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

F27 Striker

Old 02-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Jugmaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F27 Striker

Hello,I have a F27 Striker and it seems to be lazy,slow to climb,slow response on elevons(both settings)I have cycled the battery three times and charged with no better results.Question... is there a stronger moter that can be installed(480 now),a different prop?This is my first electric.
Jugmaker
Old 02-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: F27 Striker

Usually, this is a problem with the battery being undercharged. How are you cycling the battery? How are you charging it?

If you're cycling it by running the airplane for long periods of time on the ground, you're damaging the motor. The motor needs the forward motion of the airplane to move precious cooling air. Sitting there running the airplane in your lap causes a tremendous heat buildup in the motor.

If you're charging it with a "wall wart" or "timer" charger, you're not fully charging the battery, or overcharging it and causing damage. Without a peak-detect charger, it's just a guess as to where the battery is in its cycle.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Jugmaker

Well I guess I am doing everything wrong.How do you cycle the battery? The only charger I have is the one that came with the plane,it plugs into the cig.lighter in a car.I need all the help I can get.
jugmaker
Old 02-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Jugmaker,
You're definitley flying with a weak battery.
Toss the included charger!!!!! Will either under or over charge the battery. Voice of experience speaking.[:@] Invest in a good charger, one that can charge/discharge/cycle battery packs. If you're going to stay in the hobby possibly consider one capable of doing lipos too.
Wait till you get a full pack in the Stryker,Hang on!
BJ
p.s. Check out the Stryker posts in the park flyers forum, lot of good tips.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You don't need to cycle the battery, generally speaking. It gets plenty of cycling when you fly the plane.

What you need is a good peak-detect (aka "peak") charger, that will properly charge the battery and automatically shut off when its full. I swear by the Hitec CG340. It's under $40, and works great for NiCd and NiMH packs.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Jugmaker

Thanks, Going to get one.How do you test the battery or will the charger tell me if they are bad?
jugmaker
Old 02-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Glacier Girl

Jugmaker,
I doubt your batteries are bad, just undercharged. The included charger does have a nasty habit of overcharging, when it's not undercharging, you would know if this was so as you would hear a pop noise as you were charging the pack and the pack would be in many pieces and smoking!!!!
You can buy a battery analyzer, but for now I'd say just get the good charger, some even do have readouts to tell what's going on with your packs.
BJ
Old 02-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Jugmaker

Thanks to everyone,Got a charger on the way.Let you know how everything turns out.
Jugmaker
Old 02-14-2005, 03:28 PM
BuzzBomber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To add to the previous posts: It does sound like there's an undercharged battery to blame here, although it's also possible the motor is a dud. It's very easy to check the pack voltage; you have checked the pack's voltage with a meter before trying to fly, right? When a 7-cell pack comes off the charger, it should be reading between 11 and 12 volts, initially--the voltage will drop over time. If you get readings like this with a pack fresh off the charger, then I would suspect the problem lies elsewhere, likely the motor. If your voltage readings are significantly lower, try a new pack. Charge it once, fly it, and repeat. the performance should increase after a few cycles. Don't just cycle the battery on the ground though--bad things will happen. FWIW, I have a stryker, and have used the charger approximately 50 times with no obvious under or overcharging. Shelbycobra, if you are smoking batteries with your charger, I strongly suggest you take up the issue with Parkzone--that should most definitely NOT happen.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Jugmaker

Got a charger,the batteries were severely under charged.Will let you know how it runs now.The wind is suppost to blow hard today and tomorrow,then rain until Wednesday.Maybe be awhile before I get to fly.
Jugmaker
Old 05-12-2005, 09:57 PM
bhouckzz
My Feedback: (1)

My stryker came today, i chrged and flew all went well. My question is : i have a Triton charger/cycler. Where di i buy the connectors so i can make a charging cable for my Stryker batterys withou destroying the stock charger which i would like to keep for emergencys. Thanks. B
Old 05-13-2005, 05:04 AM
Glacier Girl

Try your LHS, if not give Radio Shack a shot.