Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Electric Motor break in

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 09:36 AM
baccus7t
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Motor break in

Have 3 280ties and a cobalt 400 and have no instruction or advise on proper electric motor break in. Back in the days I was flying gas we were given specific motor break in instructions with the motors. Even though I have 4 Electric motors; I have no break in advise. Have even been told they don't need break in.

Learned the hard way that these motors have different resistance and draw different amperages. Because of this I destroyed 3 Li Po batteries because of over heating with the Cobalt 400.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Question: With break in will the resistance (amperage draw) become less?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 12:07 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Electric Motor break in

With break in will the resistance (amperage draw) become less?
generally, yes, but not by great amounts. maybe 5-10%, so if you were that close to overdrawing a lipo it won't really help. change props or gearing in that case...

anyway, back to breakin. some people just get a D alkaline cell and run them for 24 hours or until the battery is dead. you can also take the D cell and do a water break in. lots of info on google and here about it, but you basically just run the motor underwater. usually about 5 minutes or so. The important part to any break in is the low voltage. Don't use a esc, that just pulses the high voltage to simulate lower voltage and will cause arcing/pitting, use a regular old D sized alkaline cell.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Electric Motor break in

Precisely. There are many CORRECT ways to break in a motor. It's not an exact science by any stretch of the imagination. The point is to gently and gradually round out the surface of the brushes so they make maximum contact with the commutator.