Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Mini Funtana Tailwheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 07:09 PM
Munchee
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Funtana Tailwheel?

I'm in the process of building my Mini Funtana and as I set and stare at the tail "skid" I am thinking that a steerable tail "wheel" would be a better idea.

Anyone changing this on their MF?

What lite style tailwheel are you using?

Thanks!!

Munchee
Old 02-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Dyehard

Default RE: Mini Funtana Tailwheel?

I've thought the same thing about the skid on the Mini Sportster that I'm using to teach my grandson to fly. It takes of and lands great, but once it reaches a certain speed on landing you loose all directional control of the tail. It would be nice if someone made a small version of the nylon tail wheel mounts used on larger plane.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:42 PM
fcawth

Do you fly off grass or a paved runway? I use the stock skid and it is fine for grass. I doubt that a small tailwheel would do anything for me. I can still taxi off the runway, etc. You just need to use bursts of throttle to swing the tail around. On pavement, a wheel might help especially in crosswind situations. For takeoff, I point the nose up, hit the throttle and let go!! You definately want something light if you add something way back in the tail..

FC
Old 02-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Dyehard

Yes, that is the problem, it would have to be very light. I fly off pavement and while takeoffs are no problem, landings always turn one it reachs a certain speed. A tailwheel would help.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Quicksdraw MaGraw
My Feedback: (1)

Here is what I did. A 1/2" wheel some wire and other junk from the garage. I didn't weigh it but it can't be much.

Anybody want to give a tutorial on posting an image..................?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Hondalan
My Feedback: (45)

Look at the current issue of Model Aviation. There is an article that shows a tail wheel being added to a tiger electric. This might give you an idea or two. I am thinking about trying it on my Mini Funtana. When ever I get around to building it. Too many projects going at once.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Quicksdraw MaGraw
My Feedback: (1)

If you click on my gallery icon you can see my tail wheel rig. I'll post it if I can ever figure that out.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:59 PM
furyflyer01

I added a Micro Wattage brand steerable tailwheel to mine.........I love it! Now I can taxi down my driveway to the road and take off, then taxi home.......it's cool. Doesn't weigh much either, just make sure you mount it carefully......had to reinforce mine w/ Kevlar thread and thin super glue where you would use screws, since it broke right away. Now it's solid.

Scott