Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Electric Connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Carroll-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Connectors?

I'm new to electric planes and have a Troy Built Monte that I'm assembling. Whe I received the Lipo battery and speed controller, they didn't have any ends on the wiring and there seems to be several types that can be used. Is there a better than another type or even a most popular type that I should use?
Carroll
Old 02-25-2005, 11:34 AM
jooNorway

Default RE: Electric Connectors?

Every one have their favourites here. I go for 2mm GoldConnectors on all the small birds, and 4mm GoldConnectors on the heavy stuff.
When you have made your choise remember you need connectors for batteries, ESC and charger. This means you need more connectors than you think in the first.
Some batteries are delivered with JST-connectors, but I don`t like these because the low-amp they are suited for. But if you are sure you will never draw above 6-7 amp these are cheap.
Both Deans and Multiplex are common used connectors too, and I have never heard anyone being disappointed with either.
Welcome to the electric joy
Old 02-26-2005, 12:18 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

I've used nothing but Sermos (Anderson Power Poles) for 13 years. Inexpensive, easier to solder, easy to connect and disconnect. Not completely fool-proof, but about as good as you can get. At the Mid-America Fun Fly last year I paid particular attention to which connectors were being used only the ones at the extreme low and high ends of amp draw used anything but Sermos.

There is one advantage to the Deans connector and that is that the FMA series/parallel hook-up boards are keyed to them.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Carroll-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Thanks Walt and jooNorway,
Walt, where can I buy theses Sermos connectors?
Carroll
Old 02-26-2005, 10:02 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Sermos, aka Power Poles, are kinda big for your application. Go with Deans polarised mini plugs for this set up.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

There are any number of good sources for Sermos/anderson connectors. My two favorites are New Creations RC and E-cubed RC, but any good e-power vendor will probably have them. The best buy is E-cubed's 50 count pack, but that's a lot of connecting.

I noted the comment on size. I sometimes cut mine off just behind the spring mount (you can see a dimple in the connector body)and add a bit of heatshrink to protect the bare wire. This reduces the size by about 2/5.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:27 PM
lwien

ORIGINAL: GWR

Sermos, aka Power Poles, are kinda big for your application. Go with Deans polarised mini plugs for this set up.
I second this. For anything 18 amps or under, the polarized Micro Deans are great.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:07 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Sermos too big. I just found out that the housing can be cut down and is now the same size as the others. Still plug in fine. BTW, I use the standard sermos on my Troy Built 3 D Delite.

John
Old 02-27-2005, 06:24 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

I'll have to try the cut down power poles myself.[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 02-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Joe Ford
My Feedback: (1)

If you want the most out of your setup, use Deans Ultra...they have the lowest resistance of ANYTHING on the market, including the new 6mm Stecker gold connectors.