Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Building a Slow stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 01:30 AM
Armored Saint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Slow stick

Hello all, I am new to any type of flying and have just bought a Slow Stick, reading the instructions, I see where I need to tape the horizontal stabilizer to the fuselage, as well as the vertical/rudder. A friend of mine has built his Slow Stick and he insist that I have to use the screws that are provided. In the instructions though the only time they mention screwing these two parts on is if you are doing the two piece tail assembly.

It is my understanding that this two sided tape is pretty tough, and in my opinion the foam would rip before the tape would separate from the fuselage. I just want to get some opinions and see how others have built theirs. Also the fuselage looks bent to me, I was told this is for a reason, that when you build the plane looking from the back you place the tube so that it points down and to the right. Something about engine torque?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-28-2005, 01:59 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Building a Slow stick

I don't think GWS bends the aluminum tube. If they did, they'd mention it somewhere to set it up as you mentioned. I think it comes with the price.

I taped and screwed mine on for peace of mind. When it came time to take them off, they were stuck on pretty good and, as you guessed, the foam didn't come off clean. It would seem the screws are unnecessary, although I still reattached my new ones with the screws. They are small, and light and at least in my paranoid mind, the tail is not going to blow off.

I can't imagine anything more disconcerting than to watch parts come off your airplane while it is still in the air. [X(]
Old 02-28-2005, 05:42 AM
jswjimmy

put the fuse down on a flat table to see wich way the fuse is bent and how much. the bent should point up when you are building the plane. i dont know why but a lot of slow stick fuses are coming out bent.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Epoxy Cup

Hi

I screwed mine on also but it may not be neccesary, or maybe just one screw. The onl problem I ever had was the tape comeing off the elevator hinge and crashing me. Of course it was a year old and spent the winter laying in the garage, uh thats aircraft hanger. Just check your hinge tape from time to time.
True most SS fuselage's have some bend in them, I generally point it down so I have some downthrust at the motor, as the SS generally will ballon up under full power. Actually I finally replaced the aluminum with the carbon fuse for the Slow V, had to do some yankee engineering since diemensions are a little differant, but no more bent aluminum[8D].
Down and right is correct thrust angle for most planes to counter act prop rotation torque.
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70512.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	287881  
Old 08-01-2005, 03:33 PM
brnsrgn

I had seen a really good description of building a slow stick by somebody name dTed Verrill. Now that I need it I can't find it. I have tried a whole bunch of searches to no avail. Anybody familar with this?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
kpd

http://www.verrill.com/rc/ss/
http://mattsrc.rchomepage.com/ssir/allinone.shtml