Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Plane vocabulary

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:29 PM
flyingace451

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane vocabulary

As some of you know already, I am a major newbie to this. Being a major newbie means that I have no idea on some of the things you say. The stuff you say is like telling a kindergarten kid about algebra or something like that. What little thingies on the plane are y'all talking about? I know what fuselage, wing, landing gear, elevator, and throttle mean. But what are you talking about with the other stuff? Like pitch? And with Helicopters, what the heck is yaw? Explain to the noob please. These may seem stupid to you so if you say I'm stupid for asking this, well you wouldn't be the first person I have punched this week.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:49 PM
geoffbeneze

Default RE: Plane vocabulary

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

As some of you know already, I am a major newbie to this. Being a major newbie means that I have no idea on some of the things you say. The stuff you say is like telling a kindergarten kid about algebra or something like that. What little thingies on the plane are y'all talking about? I know what fuselage, wing, landing gear, elevator, and throttle mean. But what are you talking about with the other stuff? Like pitch? And with Helicopters, what the heck is yaw? Explain to the noob please. These may seem stupid to you so if you say I'm stupid for asking this, well you wouldn't be the first person I have punched this week.
What an interesting approach.

If you ASK, "I didn't get that, what does XYZ mean?" I'm willing to bet EVERY one of the people on this list would be willing to help you out.

However, weith the "punched this week" quip, I think you can effectively expect to go wet up a rope before you get much help.

At least that's how I react. I do my damnedest to help any one I'm able, but I also expect some nominal respect in return.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:49 PM
doggscube
My Feedback: (1)

Try looking things up the dictionary, or Googling them, especially those questions that involve single words. Pitch, well, it means an axis of a plane, or the angle of the prop relative to the prop shaft line. The pitch of the airframe is controlled by the elevator, and the pitch of the prop dictates how much it moves forward in the air. A 9x6 prop is 9" in diameter, and in one revolution moves forward 6".
Old 03-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Your answer is already here on RCU>
Please reads all 5 pages.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/RC_U...1527996/tm.htm
Old 03-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

In addition to the RCU link provided above, Tower Hobbies also provides an introduction to R/C and aviation on their website.

Remember that model aircraft are just smaller versions of the real thing. Most of the terms and all of the science behind the way they fly are exactly the same. For example: pitch, roll, yaw. There are thousands of resources out there on the web, easily found with basic search statements like "How does an airplane fly" or by combining the term you don't understand with the word "airplane."

Don't try to memorize the entire glossary; you'll just frustrate yourself. Keep reading the forums, and when you come to a term you don't understand, ASK, or look it up. Nobody, and I mean NO-BOD-Y was born with all this knowledge. It takes time to learn it. Just keep plugging away and things will start making sense.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:49 AM
CrashParkFlyer

Hi Guys, I clicked on the link and read it. VERY USEFUL. Explained a great deal to me as a newcommer to the hobby. Thanx

Dave.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:01 PM
flyingace451

Sorry about the "first person I've punched this week" thing. It was just a little joke. Thank You sooooo much for the link!!! I still can't remember the stuff I read but Thanx anyway!
Old 03-09-2005, 05:24 PM
geoffbeneze

ORIGINAL: flyingace451
Thank You sooooo much for the link!!! I still can't remember the stuff I read but Thanx anyway!
I doubt that any of us remember it on the first pass (or the dozenth). Just as long as you can remember where to LOOK, then go back as you need reenforcment on any given concept.

It's like like learning any other language, it takes time.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:35 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

You'll learn some new words the first time you get shot down![sm=lol.gif]
Old 03-11-2005, 03:33 AM
Virg.

REPLY TO flyingace451

Great that you found the suggested link so useful. NOW, to make it even more useful, put it in your FAVORITES. Then you can quickly pull it up then discard it as needed. Cool, huh?
Old 03-11-2005, 07:13 PM
flyingace451

LOL! Okee Dokey. It's in my favorites now.