Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

HITEC FLASH 5X RADIO SYSTEM..

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

HITEC FLASH 5X RADIO SYSTEM..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 10:01 AM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HITEC FLASH 5X RADIO SYSTEM..

yes..the flash5sx,,is the 1 i was reffering too..sry for the confucion..
Old 03-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trims work inflight only when you are NOT in the menus...
You have to go out of the menus... by mashing the UP and DOWN buttons at the same time.. distracting when flying.. I do it a lot!
It requires taking your eyes off the plane, which is an irritation at best, and a potential disaster at worst.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:59 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why would you have the menus open while you are flying? Set up the plane, launch it, and use the trim buttons next to the stick. Why mess with menus while you are flying?
Old 03-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Tall Paul

ORIGINAL: aeajr

Why would you have the menus open while you are flying? Set up the plane, launch it, and use the trim buttons next to the stick. Why mess with menus while you are flying?
Your homily should read ".... Set up the plane, get out of programming mode, launch it...."
Leaving out the "get out of programming mode" part leads to inflight difficulties.
Real radios.... Futabas, don't cheapscrew the programming procedures.. the flight trims are seperate from the programming keys.
As for "messing with menus when you are flying"... I don't want to!
But if the radio is in the menu mode at launch, then it's distracting to have to fix the poor setup of Hitecs... And sometimes, going into menu mode when in flight can be useful, when trying the effects of some changes without having to land. But there's a "gotcha" waiting there, with the numerous ways the programming keys can alter, sometimes diastrously, the inflight settings.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:28 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Well theres no doubt that I have read more then 1` unhappy customer of the hitec flash5x...so evidently its not user freindly to all who own it..
Old 03-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Tall Paul

There's a learning curve with everything. I have a lot of Futabas, and find the programming to be easy and logical.
Hitecs work just fine, as long as you learn the, what are to me, differences in method.
As I use both on the same day frequently, I find I prefer the simpler Futaba process, which doesn't require pressing two keys simultaneously to do some things, as you must do with Hitec. This is not "intuitive" to me.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:47 PM
eljimb0

I have a Hitec flash5x I have used it without a problem for 2 years. My brother's similarly priced Futaba bought on the same day has been back to Futaba 2 times. He is still happy with it? Go figure.

"But if the radio is in the menu mode at launch, then it's distracting to have to fix the poor setup of Hitecs.." Huh?

If the radio is in menu mode at launch... that is pilot error. Just like not extending the antenna, or the trans battery reads 7 volts and I decided to fly anyhow, or I had the trans set for plane 5 and my new Funtana (plane 2) just snapped into the ground.
jimbo
Old 03-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Tall Paul

Nothing is fool-proof.
But some things make it difficult.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:45 PM
ohcnap

With the flash 5 X you dont need to land your plane to trim it and save your trims ,this was true with older models of this transmitters.And i mean OLDER.With the new ones you yes trim your plane in the air and that is that.the radio will remenber your trims,Also if you are no planning to have more than 3 planes you are OK(thats all the memory the radio has)I fly 1/4 scale planes with total confidence with this transmitter and other hitec transmitters.About the programing easy,like it was sed here ,you program your plane ones and that is that.I felt the need to say all this becouse hitec has been very good to me as a costumer, so this is my way to say thanks.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:32 AM
AgCat1982

Why do you say it only has memory for three planes? Mine has five.

As for as being in programing mode, I just reach over with my thumb and shut it off without even having to think about it. It's easy once you have used it a little.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:39 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

I like my flash 5. I've been able to trick it into doing things that are not listed as it's being capable of
(some involved a little rewiring) If I had a do over on this unit I would defiantly go with the Tracker III. For a few bucks more you get a synthesized unit with a scanner + the rx's are also synthesized. Not to mention a whole lot more mixes. While not up to the Multiplex Royal Evos the Tracker is a great middle level radio for a great price.
If I had the cash I'd go with the Multiplex Profi 4000 or is it 5000 now.