Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

GWS C-47 Brushless Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

GWS C-47 Brushless Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 03:59 PM
jbednarz2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS C-47 Brushless Conversion

I purchased a GWS C-47 and planned to use brushless motors )since all my electrics use this technology. I plan to use Himax 2015-4100 geared motors with the GWS style mounts (which should be a direct drop-in for the C-47) and two brushless controllers (Castle 10's with the BEC eliminated on one). I have not run this combination on Motor Calc yet so I'm not certain what props I will be using but given the ground clearance, that may be a issue. I've searched the threads to see if anyone else has tried this configuration but I did not find anything. Also, I 'm interested in some recommendations for batteries. I had planned on using two 3-call lipos (1300 mh) one for each motor or maybe one 2100 mh 3 cell lipo to drive both controllers.

Any advice will be appreciated. If it come back that this is not a good idea, I guess I will have to use the stock C-47 brushed motors and then purchace two new planes for the surplus 2015's!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: GWS C-47 Brushless Conversion

You'll have the only 3D Gooney Bird at the field, that's for sure

I, for one, think you're headed down the right track. Hope that counts for something.

What's the stock power system for the GWS C-47? You'll probably want a fairly fast gear ratio to spin a smaller prop faster due to ground and fuselage clearance. I'm thinking in the 3.0:1 to 4.0:1 range, just as a wild guess to start off. Direct drive? Wouldn't even consider it. I doubt if the Himaxx could spin much more than 4" of prop on a 3S LiPoly direct without drawing too many Amps.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:34 PM
jbednarz2

Thanks Matt

You were the only one who has replied to this thread and I appreciate the feedback. I purchased these Himax motors with gearboxes so I have a choice of gear ratios from 6.6-1 down to about 3.3-1. The stock power system is a brushed speed 300 that aparently designed to be run direct drive with no gearbox, given the samll prop size that comes with the kit. It also uses a single brushed controller (less expensive). Given the fact that you must invest in multiple motors and contollers, the use of brushless on a twin does get a little expensive which is probably why there are very few considering this approach. Since the Himax is a drop in, I will proceed with my plan and one I test the setup, I will post my results. If it proves to be too much, I can always put the stock motors in a use the brushless in something else.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:31 PM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Hi, just bought a GWS C-47 at a swap meet today. It has the two stock brushed motors in it. I would like to put brushless in it and was wondering how your project worked out? I want to use outrunners.
Denny
Old 12-02-2006, 12:47 PM
pilotpete2

Since you are using two Phoenix 10's, you may want to double check with CC, since their controllers are supposed to be able to be run with two BECs in parallel, if they are designed for running in parallel you sure don't want to disable one, better to have half of the current on each, but check with CC first.
Pete
Old 12-03-2006, 09:50 AM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Can anyone tell me where the CG should be for the GWS C-47? Any help greatly appreciated.
Denny