Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Long-EZ by badsplice

Old 03-19-2005, 03:53 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long-EZ by badsplice

I used to fly at a field that was under the landing approach of an airport (I know, but we kept it low ) anyway one of my favorite planes to see was a Long EZ. you could always tell when it was coming because the sound was totally unique.

Anyway, I was trying to decide what my next project would be. I tried to make a flying wing, but it didnt really work out. It seemed like the wing would be a good base for a plane, and Bang, I saw the vision

So here it is, so far. All electronics except the motor are in. twin aileron servos (generic pico size) and one HS81-MG driving the canard elevator (its overkill, but the canard is kinda stiff anyway) Plan to use my HiMax 2812-850 with a 10x8 prop, CC10, and Kokam 3s 1500. I have run this motor system on another plane with no problems.

Still need to do some painting, and figure out how Im going to secure the canopy, but it should be ready for a test flight as soon as the weather clears

Some pics so far
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28430.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	246130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28606.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	246131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd81054.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	246132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36522.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	246133  
Old 03-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Long-EZ by badsplice

That looks absolutely phenomenal!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:37 AM
BadSplice

well, gave it a test "flight" yesterday..... clearly I did something wrong, I think the balance must have been way off, it just went straight up, tumbled over and smashed in, no control..... I think I can fix most of the damage.....

Does a plane with a canard elevator need to be balanced at somewhere other than 33% from the leading edge?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:10 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Does a plane with a canard elevator need to be balanced at somewhere other than 33% from the leading edge? "
Yeah, the CG is somewhere between the leading edge of the main wing and the trailing edge of the canard. the canard is a lifting surface so you have to take that into account.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a CG calculator that works on Excel.

Don
Old 03-21-2005, 01:38 PM
avalon

Many years ago I designed and built a 40 size canard and did the same thing. Anyway, it was destroyed on the first day on about the 3rd attempt to fly. Some enquiries later pointed out my mistake. The C.G. needs to be in front of the leading egde as hattend says.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:13 PM
BadSplice

fascinating..... I would never have guessed the balance point would be that different. I must admit, I expected the battery to sit farther forward, but I figured the 33% balance point was universal. I think I can repair the plane and give it a proper try, I would love to see it go.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Jerseymac

Finally!
Someone that doesn't clean up his work area before taking pictures.
Even likes Pink Floyd!
How cool is that...

Hope you get that thing to fly and can post a video.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:30 PM
BadSplice

Well, that was more like it!
Just took a quick shot to the park to try out the new balance location suggested by hattend. (the place where the strake joins the main wing) Amazing difference! the thing actually flew like a plane. the canard was not as responsive as I had expected, but it did the job. the ailerins were Very responsive, even at "low" rate, but they are pretty large.
If I had to guess, I would say I need to move the balance back a little bit. the plane had a tendency to nose down when unpowered. Inverted flight was a near disaster (saved by the huge ailerons) but cruising upright it was incredibly smooth and stable. I think I need a different prop to get more speed (have a himax 2812-850+10x8 gws prop, any suggestions?)

as far as video, I would love to, but dont you need to have a website to host it? (I dont have one)
Old 03-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I believe your suspicion is well-placed. Moving the CG farther to the rear will make the plane more sensitive in pitch.

However, if what I've read about canards like the Great Planes Firebat mean anything, it won't take much to drastically change the sensitivity.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:45 PM
ct_djservices
My Feedback: (22)

I built one as well and the exact same thing happened to me, why doesn't the mfg. make assembly instruction corrections as this could be a nice plane if it only flew!