Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

battery weight problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 01:35 AM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery weight problem

what can you do to get rid of the 9.6 volt battery weight problem was told that just mite get more time in the air if i went to lipo or some batterys that was light can any one help out with this what is needed to fix this oh the 1200 weights nothing like the 1700 9.6 does wow heavy
Old 03-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: battery weight problem

You can simply use a smaller 9.6V battery, but you have to be careful. The smaller the battery is, the less current it can handle. If the 1700mAh is straining to provide enough current to run your motor setup, then a smaller 1200mAh battery will be overloaded. Overloading a battery usually damages the battery very quickly.

So, it's not always possible to lighten the plane by using a smaller battery.

It's always possible to lighten the plane by switching to LiPoly batteries. The issues here are that they're comparatively expensive, and require special care and feeding.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:27 PM
layback2

Oh yes i did some research on the lipoly and other resorces hopeing to come up with a idea and all i found was costly
things i would have to change and what it would cost me wow
CSEPHX25 speed control $64.99
EFLM1000 motor $47.99
THP13203SJ battery $49.99
EFLC3005 charger $44.99
the weight problem will be gone and my plane cash too lollol
well it was intersting to find such good info thanks for the help
will have to wait for my next plane to have such good works for that one my A10 wart hog
thanks matt
Old 03-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Why would you need to change out the motor, and ESC? A brushless motor and ESC are not mandatory to take advantage of LiPoly technology.

Yeah, you won't have quite the available power if you replace the 9.6V "roundcell" pack with a 7.4V LiPoly, but the weight savings will more than make up for it. Plus, the rated voltages are not fair comparisons. In reality, the "9.6V" pack will be lucky to hold 8.8V under load, while the LiPoly will be holding at least 8.0V under load if properly sized.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:48 PM
layback2

thanks matt very intersting to hear what you have to say i learn a lot from you and all here thanks