Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Clear Tape Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 11:17 AM
baccus7t
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Tape Hinges

Anyone know where I can obtain 1 inch clear tape for hinges. Tried Staples and was told tri M only makes 3/4 inch which is too narrow and they have replaced clear tape with "Invisable" tape which is not clear. I tried DuBro's 1 inch which wasn't clear and I didn't like.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2005, 12:12 PM
lmalone

Default RE: Clear Tape Hinges

Try Towerhobbies, They have everything you need(almost)
lmalone
Old 03-26-2005, 12:39 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

its not as pretty, but I find that the tape with the fiber filaments in it is the best for hinges. I cut it into inch long strips, so that the fiber is running across the hinge, instead of along it. Not only are the filaments a lot stronger than normal tape, because of them, the tape is a bit thinner and more flexible. you end up with Very strong and flexible hinges
Old 03-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

For smaller foamies and park flyers, take a look at the new Dubro hinge tape. I bought a roll, and the stuff is great! It's light, super-sticky, flexible and tough. No surprise here, as it turns out to be 3M "Blenderm" surgical tape, also available in 12-roll sleeves from medical supply houses.

For larger stuff, I would recommend the bi-directional fiberglass strapping tape. The hinges are much stronger with the fibers running perpendicular to the hinge line as BadSplice says, and with the bi-directional tape, you can do it in one strip rather than many short pieces. Bi-directional strapping tape is available at "big box" office supply stores.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:16 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I used that 3M Blenderm tape on my foamy, and I'm very impressed with it. It sticks well, and a little "stretchy". Seems Ideal for hinging foamies.

I've also seen some photos of a foamy that used "bi-di" tape with a bidirectional filament in it (lengthwise and across), but have not been able to find a place that sells it locally or on the web.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:23 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I use the Dubro as well....and will look for the "bi-di" (I like that!) next time I am out...

but I think baccus7t is looking for something that is pretty much clear.....

What about clear packing tape?? You may have to cut it into the width you need but it may work...
I do find that with packing tape, a quick clean with some rubbing alcohol helps the tape stick better....
Old 03-28-2005, 05:06 AM
jbflier

Blendern Tape; 1"x5 yards $17.00 on the net. Do a search.......5yds=xplanes?.....Yeeehaa!!!!